Thursday, March 17, 2005

Cry baby

In grade eleven I took a parenting course that featured the task of caring for a mechanical baby for three days. The baby would cry at random times and you would have to insert and turn a key in its back, holding it steady until it stopped. If left un-keyed, the memory chip would record abuse. This was fine with me until I realized that I couldn't very well bring my baby to my job as a swimming instructor. So I had to approach my teacher for a 'babysitter key' which was no longer being used for our classes. Sitting in her office pleading my case, I fell apart and cried. Yep, I'm a crier. I remember telling her that I didn't even feel sad about it, I just tend to cry.

It always happens to me in situations like this, and walking home just now from my professor's office after discussing (and crying over) my paper grade, I tried to pinpoint exactly what kind of situation 'this' is. At first guess I might say that it's when I'm nervous, but no, that's not the case. I don't cry at interviews or on first dates (thank god!) or when I speak in front of crowds. I think it's more related to fighting for myself, or standing up for myself. Pleading my case. It makes me uncomfortable.

I can relate it back to my childhood... don't worry, I won't. But maybe I'll just add it to the list of things I blame ol' Daddy-o for.

In any case, it works. I got the babysitter key and my essay grade is no longer a C.

2 Comments:

At March 18, 2005 7:08 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there

saw you on rory's blog...you're thinking of going to korea...hmm..

do you know what you're getting yourself into? the best of times, the worst of times...

 
At March 18, 2005 9:19 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I've never had a speeding ticket (yet) so I don't know how I'd react. BUt I wish that I could keep my emotions inside in these situations.

Hello second layer. No, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into, and that's what makes this so appealing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home