Thursday, March 10, 2005

Killing time

I'm sitting in the computer lab waiting until lane swim at the pool at 9:30, so why not write a little something.

Today I marked a few more papers. I can't believe some of the stuff people turn in. The paper is supposed to be ten pages long and one student handed in three and a half! I thought five was surprising, but this is ridiculous. Not only that, but this person only referenced internet sites and their argument was undeveloped and bad. I have no idea what mark to give for this piece of garbage that was obviously thrown together the morning it was due. Should I fail 'em? Thankfully someone else handed in an almost flawless paper that followed the directions perfectly and was actually well written. I'll post some sample 'bad writing' that we can all laugh at later on.

Tonight at band they held elections for next year's executive and all the nominees had about thirty seconds to sell themselves. It was reminiscent of the first episode of "American Idol" when all the rejects are shown sucking it up like crazy.

Example 1. Girl bounces onto the podium, wringing her hands and mid-chest range. "Hi! I'm Danielle. But I prefer Danny, so call me Danny. I, umm, didn't want to be on the exec but then someone nominated me so I thought hey, why not? Umm.. and I'm cool because I have a nose ring. Vote for me."

Example 2. "Hi, I'm John and I really want to be the librarian because I have lots of photocopying experience and I'm in engineering. I love when music is straight on the paper and not cut off" (crowd hoots and hollers, while glaring at last year's librarians).

I could go on, but it's just too painful.

Off to the pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home