Tuesday, March 15, 2005

An uncertain future

This morning I went to talk to my professor about graduate school. I wanted to get advice about where to apply so I can get everything ready before I leave for Korea. After having met with him I know less than I did before.

My original plan was to study demography; the study of populations. I thought that this could lead to a practical career should I decide not to go on for a PhD. The problem with this is that I don't necessarily have a strong interest in demographics. But what do I have an interest in?

My prof said that I can work in social research with a background in any sociological sub-discipline as long as I have strong research skills. Okay, that's good to know. He also said that though I'm doing well in statistics, I'm obviously struggling to understand it. Do I really want to get involved in more advanced and difficult statistics than I am already? No, I don't think so.

So now I have to think about what I am actually interested in. Maybe education would be a good path to choose; either a Masters of Sociology with a focus on education, or a Masters of Education would be good, especially after my time teaching in Korea. I also have to think about whether I want to apply to the States, because then I'd have to prepare and write the GRE's. What's with standardized testing anyway?

I have a lot to think about, obviously.

At least he said that he'd be happy to write me a letter of recommendation, and that a letter from *him* would do me good if applying for a quantitative program. I guess he's a celebrity in the quantitative world. Wowie.

2 Comments:

At March 17, 2005 3:46 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Hey, the comment feature works at my school! It doesn't work in my PC Bang...

 
At March 17, 2005 10:00 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I'm having trouble posting comments from my own computer too - it took me lots of clicking to get to this page.

Your updates are interesting; keep 'em coming!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home