Monday, August 29, 2005

Mental preparation

I'm really going to start swimming this week. THIS WEEK. Tonight I got as far as the park (two minutes from my house) and was then held up by beer-drinking coworkers. Tomorrow I'll make it a little further. Maybe even into the water. I'm a little jittery and unsure about swimming because nobody speaks any English at the pool and I don't know the 'process'. All I need is to do it once and then I'll be a regular swimmer again.

Today Kierstie-coworker was sick with a migraine so we all got to cover her class. I had a class of eighteen four year olds. It went pretty well. I was almost ready to get angry at the possibility of staying late for the fifth day in a row (after covering D'Arcy's class last week while she was in Japan) but I got lucky.

I just made myself a meal; perhaps my third or fourth cooking attempt since I've been here. It consisted of sesame oil and fresh garlic, chopped carrots, red pepper, and mushroom. Not just any mushroom, but a fancy asian mushroom. There are so many delicious varieties that are far better than the plain old whities I eat at home. Stirfry it all up together with some soya sauce and eat, with a side of faux crab. Not too bad. I'm pretty agile with my silver chopsticks these days. Can't wait to get home and be a chopstick wielding, Korean speaking show off.

Veggies are so expensive here, I find. I can't handle it. Then again, I am a rich English teacher... I accidentally bought a 'green pumpkin' which I mistook for a cucumber. What shall I do with it? Any easy recipes call for green pumpkin?

5 Comments:

At August 29, 2005 9:55 p.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

Hey Jess..

I hope you're doing well....seems like our weekends don't seem to be working out!! Anyway I'm not free with cash until the weekend of the 10th if you guys wanna come up or whatever....and about the Mexican Ponchos in Itaewon..not too bad a little over priced but the salsa was soo good..anyway if you come up again I can take you there.

:)

 
At August 30, 2005 8:04 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Rand, thanks for the kind words!! I'm funny?? What a surprise! :) Feel free to send me as much dried fruit as you choose.. then again we've got it here too. I had dried kiwi even!!

Good luck to you, little buddy! Enjoy the adventure!

Shelly, it's been too long! The tenth it is. For real this time, dawg. :)

 
At August 31, 2005 3:05 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

sweetness see you next weekend then!!

 
At August 31, 2005 8:53 a.m. , Blogger RLB said...

I love your comment about becoming a "chopstick-wielding, Korean-speaking show-off." I hear ya. Every time I go home I become insufferable. And I bring the flat metal Korean chopsticks and nobody can eat with them!

 
At September 01, 2005 7:02 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

How else can we prove our worldliness, I ask??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home