Thursday, June 16, 2005

Still on the hunt

I turned down the job in Suwon because not only would I be the only foreign teacher but it is a brand new school. I don't want to deal with that kind of risk. It's high risk. So we're back to the drawing board.

Today I went for a haircut at a new salon and I was given a head, shoulder and neck massage. It was nice yet odd at the same time. I was glad I didn't have to make small talk with the hairdresser at least. I hate small talk with hairdressers and estheticians and all those people. But it's also uncomfotable to have someone servicing you like that without talking to them.

I'm bored so I started packing. You're allowed two bags weighing less than 30 kgs each (I think). So I have one duffel bag from summer camp, the size of which I do not know. And I have my big backpack from last summer's travels that is 95 litres. Really it's not that much space but I don't have that much stuff to bring. The duffel bag will hold all or most of my clothes and the backpack will hold my shoes, toiletries, and all that other stuff. I wonder what I'll miss the most from home. I can't think of anything specific that I'll really pine for. Some people crave chili powder or chocolate or Tim Horton's coffee but I don't care about any of that stuff so much. I'm not a brand dedicated girl unless you count my hair mousse. I think I'll be okay. For anyone overseas, what should I be sure to remember? I wonder if I should bring my soccer cleats and shin pads, though I haven't used them in years.

What's on the agenda tomorrow? Costco! Anyone feel like frisbee or soccer or something?

3 Comments:

At June 17, 2005 10:21 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this new salon? Neck and shoulder massage sound soooo good!! haven't quite gotten rid of my hunch back after 4 straigt years and summer of Uni/research..hhahhh.
i'm bored,
jen

 
At June 17, 2005 1:07 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

bring deodorant or antiperspirant whatever you use (if at all)...koreans don't use it and you can't find it easily (except itaewon but who wants to go there?)...enough for a year at least...and any other specialty products you like...cuz the pickins are slim....

bring some cold meds...not too many, again you can find it, but only korean brands, there's a whole different set of colds over there from what you grew up with and kids are dirty!

bring a photo or photos of your family and city to show your students and interested koreans...

if you don't bring and use an umbrella at every chance possible koreans will think you are weird...they love umbrellas...

bring some canadian stuff, small things for gifts for people you meet and/or students...they love that...even if it's just little flag pins...

if i remember more i'll let you know...

 
At June 17, 2005 2:14 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Jenn-a-fur: The salon is not really new, just new for me. It's Civello.. the Queen St. location. They have other locations too. Watch out for that hunch back!!!

Kiran: I just bought four three-packs of deodorant at Costco. Hope it's enought. And about the umbrella, I think I'll wait until I'm there so I can get a sturdy Korean one to handle the rainstorms. Maybe with Hello Kitty on it or something. Alright!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home