Thursday, June 09, 2005

Observation #2

Today I went for my second observation of an English language course provided for new immigrants to Toronto. When I arrived there was a guy who is going through his practicum talking to the teacher. The practicum is the course component that I'm thinking of forgetting so I won't be eligible to get my TESL certificate. This guy was talking to the teacher telling him how he feels nauseous and near the breaking point. He looked like he was on his last leg. All the more reason for me to want to be a quitter. Though I doubt I'd get as stressed out.

The observation itself was a lot of fun. I spent my time chatting with the seven Koreans sitting around me, impressing them with my limited vocabulary. Actually, it was pretty funny because I'd say a word (like ajumma which means older woman) and they would stare at me blankly. I'd try again and they would burst out in a smile and say "Ahhh, ajumma!" in a completely different pronunciation than my own. I guess I have my work cut out for me. On the plus side, the woman beside me who's daughter went to Harvard told me that I look smart. She must be right.

Tonight I have an interview with the school in Choenon at 8:30. Whoopee!

1 Comments:

At June 10, 2005 1:01 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

The problem is that everywhere that you go in Korea, there is a different dialect. So if you learn Korean in Ulsan/Busan/Gyeonju, they won't have a clue what you're saying up in Daejeon or Seoul.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home