Friday, June 10, 2005

Another call from Korea

I just spoke to a sweet sounding girl working at "Little America". She said that the school is quite large so there have been no problems (as far as she knows) in regards to payment and other things like that. She said the foreigner community is a tight knit group of about thirty in the city of Cheonan. Apparently we can wear jeans (yay!) and she didn't have much to say about housing except that it is small two-person apartments. I forgot to ask how close the apartments are to the school. On the bright side, internet is free at the school. On the downside, you are expected to be there from 9 until 6, but there are breaks between the classes, and there is a lunch break. That is much longer than I expected. And earlier. What the hell.

Tomorrow I'm off to the Korean consulate to get my photocopied degree stamped in preparation for my E2 visa. I guess I'll also hear from CWS about whether I got the job. But do I want this job?

4 Comments:

At June 10, 2005 10:30 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a comment about internet... I'm certainly not familiar with every city in Korea since I've only been to the country once for a week, but I am fairly confident that cheap internet everywhere is the norm. They have these places called "PC Bangs" (I don't know what "bang" means) where you pay something like $.25 for an hour of internet. :) We found them in every city we went to, regardless of whether it was Seoul or some smaller town. Korea is crazy-wired.

Congrats on Little America being a viable option. Sounds like you have something very promising.

 
At June 10, 2005 1:15 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Bang (반) means room. They are everywhere and I've seem them ranging in price from 600 won an hour to 1000 won an hour. That's dirt cheap. Who cares if the school has free internet? You probably won't be allowed to use MSN or anything on them or to just surf around for fun. Most of your internet usage will be at PC rooms, unless you have an internet connection and a compie at home.

Seven foreign teachers is a good thing, but you should be able to find a place with a good number of foreingers, that lets you wear jeans, that has much better hours than 9-6. Seriously, when are you going to fit privates into that time? How are you going to recover from staying out until 7am? How are you going to live with yourself when you know that people like me are making the same money as you, but they're working 2-8? You can find something better.

I'm terribly biased here, but Ulsan does kick ass. There's a few hundred foreign teachers here; a few thousand if you count the Russians. It's super easy to make awesome connections between Ulsan and Busan. It's a smaller city that's 50 km from Busan. Busan is a sweet place to be too. A three hour ferry ride to Japan and close to the best beaches in Korea? How can you go wrong with that?

 
At June 10, 2005 3:56 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

It's true. Those hours suck and there's nothing else that's compelling enough for me to accept this job. Damn! I just want to get this over with and I don't want to discourage CWS from helping us after they went through all this trouble. But they shouldn't have organized interviews and things before showing me the details of the job offer, I guess.

 
At April 16, 2008 1:03 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's happened? I'm applying to Little America in Busan myself :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home