Monday, March 21, 2005

Two and a half weeks to go...

These days the typical conversation to be had and heard around campus goes something like this:

Person #1: So, only (insert number of days left here) days left, eh?

Person #2: I know, I can't wait! How's your exam schedule?

Person #1: Oh, I have.... blah blah blah, you?

Person #2: Ouch, I have only ... blah blah blah

Person #1: Nice. What are you going to do for the summer/when you graduate?

Person #2: No idea, you?

Person #1: Same.

Or in my case: Oh, I'm going to Korea for a year to teach English. I just really want to get out of here and get going. This semester cannot go fast enough.. blah blah blah.

To which the person will reply: Wow, oh my god, that's so cool, you're so wonderful and amazing.

And I: I know.

Only eleven more papers to be marked, but they must all be done by tonight. Can I do it?

6 Comments:

At March 21, 2005 11:46 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Don't you just love how your "coolness factor" goes up when people find out that you're leaving the country? :D

 
At March 21, 2005 12:53 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Totally. If only it were actually true.. sigh. ;)

 
At March 22, 2005 7:38 a.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

when are you going to korea?
have you got a job lined up?

--

 
At March 22, 2005 9:49 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I'm planning to go sometime in June. I get my diploma on the 8th and I have to finish my TESL course which should be possible by around that same time. So as soon as I (and my friend who is coming too) get a contract and our visas we're on our way.

Where do you think is a good place to go? Were you in Seoul? We want an urban centre.

 
At March 23, 2005 12:08 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

most cities that you can find on a map are fairly big compared to what we're used to...
i was in gangneung (and it's considered a small city, but it's got the same population as vancouver!)

it's three hours north east of seoul on the coast...in one of korea's most beautiful national parks: seoraksan...

i felt the same way when i first was looking for a job...BIG CITY!
but you can have a great time anywhere you go...just talk to some of the other foreign teachers in the city and see how it is...

in fact, i'd recommend a smaller city (not seoul) as you'll get more of a korean experience...learn more of the language and see more of the country...

once you're in seoul, people rarely venture outside, you don't have to learn korean if you don't want to and it's not what i'd call a 'real' korea experience...but definitely a must-see...

just keep yourself open to other possibilities..

seoul, busan, daejon, daegu are all the biggest cities...and a lot of fun...

but kyeongju, sokcho and gangneung are all ones that i'd recommend too...

damnit, you're making want to go back, you know that...i swore i'd never return and now i find myself checking dave's cafe for job openings...maybe i'll see you there!

 
At March 23, 2005 2:55 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why I have this idea that Seoul would be the best. But I don't want to see a McDonalds or Starbucks on every corner.

I'm going with Footprints Recruiting so I'll see what they can recommend.

Ha ha, come back! I'm not sure why you would have promised yourself never to return, but maybe I don't want to know...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home