Monday, March 20, 2006

School lunches: Monday

I've been meaning to get around to this fascinating series for months now but never remember to do it when Monday rolls around. Be prepared for incredible culinary arts, my friends!

At Suji Kid's College we teachers are provided with a free lunch daily. Usually it's the same thing the kid's eat that day, but sometimes it's not quite as good. We pretty often have quite bad lunches and sometimes some really good ones. Who knows what this week will bring.

Take a look at what was served today. This is a pretty impressive spread with two meat options and two varieties of kimchi. On the left is cucumber, then there is some kind of fish, sweet beef (bulgogi) and good ol' fashioned kimchi.

This is my plate. I'm not so into fish, especially when you have to pay careful attention to the many bones, so I opted out today. I took a healthy serving of bulgogi and put extra sauce on my rice for some flavour. The cucumber was only alright, and the soup today lacked a certain je ne sais quoi. Ahh, je sais - good taste! After repeatedly scooping 3/4 of my dull white rice back into the rice cooker the cook has finally learned to give me a smaller serving. Also, I tried hard to develop a taste for kimchi but I've given up. I just can't do it.

Does this look good or bad to you, I wonder? It's really not too bad, but can you imagine what the poor vegetarians are eating? Suckers.

Stay tuned to see what the rest of the week will serve up. And keep your fingers crossed for my sake.

3 Comments:

At March 20, 2006 7:35 a.m. , Blogger RLB said...

At my old school we'd often end up eating rice and kim, with cabbagey soup. I always supplemented this with some ordered-in food, but it was good enough filler. Your lunch in the picture looks gourmet compared to what we used to eat!

 
At March 20, 2006 8:44 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It actually looks not too bad. Have you ever been sick from the food Jess?

 
At March 21, 2006 5:50 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Oh dear, sounds terrible. I guess it is pretty gourmet after all...

Nope, I haven't been sick once from the food, Katie.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home