Monday, March 06, 2006

Some tasty office gossip

Walking to work this cool Monday morning, the new girl casually asked if we'd heard the news.

"No, what?" Sara and I asked.
"I quit this weekend" she replied.

She arrived on Tuesday night from Waterloo, had a day off on Wednesday, met her kids briefly on Thursday, and her first full day of teaching on Friday. She quit on Saturday.

Who quits after one day of work? Who comes all the way to Korea to do that? Sure she has a tough situation with a class of three and four year olds, but come on! Everyone has it tough in one way or another. Give it some time, at least, and it'll eventually come together.

The idea of quitting was never even a consideration for me - despite Mrs. Rudolph's warning, in response to my groundbreaking fifth grade choir quit, of once a quitter always a quitter. I had already invested so much time and thought and preparation. I had said my goodbye's. I had packed my bags. I was determined to "spend a year in South Korea". And now it's almost done and I made it and it's all fantastic. It's been worth it, really it has. I can't believe she's throwing it away so soon.

It really amazes me. Not only this situation, but the haphazard way that people come here and expect it to be all fun and games. People think about the money, about the travel and adventure, and I think a lot forget to think about the job itself. I hardly considered it. They also don't bother to take the time to find out about the way this industry tends to work over here. At least I knew about the schedule changes and the lack of advanced notice.

I think the new girl assumed she would receive training. Ha! HA HA! That cracks me up.

Sure it's a shame that it didn't work out for her but I love a little bit of drama to spice things up. Especially when it makes me feel like an all-star.

7 Comments:

At March 06, 2006 2:47 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

She doesn't sound as strong as you. However, you are able to say this stuff now that you've been settled for a few months and become confident. I think if I did it, I would probably have lots of tearful moments but I hope I wouldn't quit. I quit my job last summer in mid August..that was the last thing I officially quit and I felt liberated at first, but then guilty afterwards! Are the school administrators upset? Will she have to pay her own way home? Who will teach her kids?

 
At March 06, 2006 6:30 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I don't know if I'd say anything about her or my strength, but committment and preparation...

I definitely had lots of tearful moments. Everybody does. But it works out.

I quit a job once from a summer camp because I didn't quite like it, so I gave two weeks notice and by the time I left it was fine. You've got to give things time, you know?

Yes, the administrators are definitely disappointed because the last thing they want is to keep looking for a teacher. They have enough other stuff to worry about right now. So they had an interview yesterday with some guy and we'll see what comes of that.

 
At March 06, 2006 10:28 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Sara needs to be slapped upside the head.

I'm assuming that she gets to pay for her plane ticket both to and from Korea? She ought to.

 
At March 06, 2006 10:28 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

BTW, Props to you for sticking it out so far, Jess.

 
At March 07, 2006 4:26 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

It's not Sara!! But yeah, I hope she has to pay for her plane ticket back. If not my boss is a bigger pushover than I thought. She may look for a job at a school with elementary classes instead of kindergarten. A bad move on her part, I'd say.

 
At March 07, 2006 11:04 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Sorry to Sara!

 
At March 08, 2006 12:42 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weak! Totally weak! Sometimes it's hard to believe how thin-skinned people are. But i guess some people aren't prepared for reality. I know i sure as hell got a kick in the ass when i first came over, but it all worked out in the end i think...more or less.

--Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home