Thursday, March 02, 2006

A fresh start

New classes began today and I finally felt emotional about the goodbye's mentioned yesterday. Only a little bit emotional, though.

Between the new classes, new children, and the new teacher working with the five year olds I was really made aware of how much I've learned since I got here. I remember how lost and bewildered I felt for the first.. umm.. maybe five months. You really have no idea what you're doing when you're thrust into this crazy teaching environment. Imagine how much more effective the system would be if they bothered to train new teachers even for a week.

Instead the director drops the new teacher off at school and then retreats to his office, expecting her to come across all the new information on her own. The other teachers help, but it's really up to the new teacher to either figure it out or ask a million questions at the risk of annoying her coworkers to death. I really don't mind. But she didn't ask much.

My kindergarten class only had four kids today. I think there are only four kids confirmed, in fact. Isn't that insane? My new kid's name is John and he's rather cute, though he speaks to me in Korean and wonders why I don't respond. My new classroom is nice and the tables are a little more interesting. I've even fashioned myself a teacher's desk. Wow!

My elementary class consisted of seven seven year olds with very little English skills. They know about as much as my more advanced five year olds did back in July, which is basic letters, colors, numbers, and animal names. D'Arcy and I team taught this class and then split them up into two separate classes according to level into. It was fun to teach together. I say we do it all the time. I'm sure the administrators won't go for it.

Oh, by the way, having just talked to our mutual friend Mel on the phone, we named a kid without an English name after her. I tried my hardest to fight back the giggles when we suggested the name. She agreed upon Melissa. Mel, you've got a namesake in Korea!

Tomorrow is a full day in this new class system and I'll have two other new elementary classes to get to know. I feel really bad for the new girl. I remember when my apartment felt sticky and not-mine and my days were stressful and tear-inducing.

2 Comments:

At March 02, 2006 7:19 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, you'll have to show me a picture of my name sharer. I feel so special!!!

 
At March 02, 2006 10:32 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I'll work on that for ya, Mellie!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home