Friday, March 17, 2006

Rolling in the dough

I felt a little confused about what I'd do when Western offered me $14,500 to study there. But then I got word from U of T that they're offering a minimum of $19,100. Most of their students, they say, get 1.4 to 2 times the minimum. That certainly cleared up some of my confusion. I guess I'll see how much McGill has to offer (by the way, they want me too) but I'm basically sure that I'll choose U of T. They expect my answer by Friday.

All of this should be very exciting and incredible, but after the initial shock that I'd been accepted to U of T I'm left feeling very little about it all. Of course it's great news that money won't be much of an issue. Of course it's an ego boost to be accepted everywhere. But it's also unnerving to realize how bad my judgment is. I really didn't think I'd get accepted anywhere. My papers weren't so good, my statements unpolished. Are they so easily fooled? Am I so unaware of myself and what I'm capable of? Who am I up against? It all doesn't make too much sense.

And now they're offering me thousands of dollars I never expected. What the hell is going on here? It's cool, I can deal with this kind of surprise.

Mel's engaged, read all about it! Spread the word! Hip hip hooray!

7 Comments:

At March 17, 2006 2:20 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if some service exists out there, that might allow you to explore why your self-perception differed so much from how the universities perceived you. If only there was some, 100+ year old school of thought that could help you. If only.

 
At March 17, 2006 3:26 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe the socio department is that rich! How much is tuition? Mine is $7500/yr at UofT.

 
At March 17, 2006 8:32 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I wonder if some service exists out there, that might allow you to explore why after two years you still come and read your ex-girlfriend's blog every day and feel compelled to leave sarcastic, rude comments every so often just for your own kicks. If only there was some 100+ year old school of thought that could help you. If only.

 
At March 17, 2006 8:33 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Katie, my tuition is about six grand. What program are you in again?

 
At March 17, 2006 11:16 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess even in "blog land" ex boyfriends behave like the dicks they are...who would've thought! ;)

That's soooooo good that they are offering you that money Jess! What an instant stress relief! I only sounded surprised because no one in my dep't got more than $9000. I think I may switch majors....haha

 
At March 17, 2006 11:21 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Remember those good ol' first year sociology days? If only we'd all known how rich sociology was.. ;)

 
At March 18, 2006 1:11 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I know, Rand! I never knew how lucrative this could be. Imagine how rich I'd be if I was willing to stick around Thornhill. Instead I'll be cutting it close...

Thanks Dad, that's very sweet.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home