Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Naming children and the perfect cheese

I found "La Vache Qui Rit" cheese for 6000 Won. I couldn't resist. My long time readers will remember how I feel about this lovely snack.

I got a new boy in my later elementary class today. It's a brand new class that opened up on Friday and I had only two girls in it who were far beyond their 'beginner' status. It was great. This new boy spoke not a word the entire two hours despite my sunny disposition and constant jokery. Apparently he's silent in Korean school too. Great, the pressure's off! I'd prefer a mute to a hyperactive maniac any day.

This boy didn't have an English name so I was, as usual, given the heavy responsibility of selecting his monachre that will haunt him for the rest of his English speaking career. His Korean name, I learned, is Su Hwon. After careful deliberation and a number of suggestions to which he did not respond, I named him Shawn. The other choices were Tom, Jon, Richard, and Mike. The girls in the class thought Tom or Jon were good choices. I proposed Richard as a kudos to my brother, and Mike.. well, I had just talked to Mike Richardson on MSN. Hi Mike! I almost named a kid after you!

Anyway, moral of the story is I named a kid something close to his real name which I'm happy about. And I could have named him Sean but instead I chose something phonetically sensical. In two months I've named a Jenny, a Molly, and a Eugene. Eugene, sadly, is a girl but her name in Korean is Yun Jin so it made sense to me. Until afterwards when I realized Eugene is a man's name. A bad man's name.

I'm going to go eat a bite sized piece of cheese before popping some Nyquil and falling fast asleep. Is Nyquil addictive, by the way?

4 Comments:

At September 08, 2005 8:07 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

You make me feel so good about myself, Rand. :) Poor little Eugene. What can you do?

 
At September 08, 2005 9:23 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Laughing Cow cheese! I'm so glad you've discovered it in Japan!

Heidi

 
At September 08, 2005 9:25 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, you aren't in Japan anymore...(last time I'd read your blog you had been). Either way, enjoy!

- H

 
At September 08, 2005 10:23 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Funny you should say that, Heidi, 'cause I saw it for the first time when I was in Japan and considered buying it but decided against it. What are the odds?? :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home