Sunday, June 19, 2005

You are the one for me, for me, formidable

I think I might have found a contract! I just got off the phone with a girl teaching at Mr. Kim's school. These were the questions I meant to ask. And some of the answers.

School

Do you like working there? What do you like most? What do you like least? (damn, forgot to ask this one)

How is the director? (Very friendly and English speaking.)

Does he pay on time, stick to the contract, treat you with respect? (yes, always)

How do the hours work? (9:45-6:25 (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) 9:45 - 4:20 (Tuesday, Thursday)).

Is it that bad? (It's a lot of work but she seems gratified. She said that she gets paid for 30 hours but she's at work for 37.)

Are you forced to work overtime? (no)

How much extra can be made through overtime? (25000won/hour)

What do you wear to work? (damn, I forgot to ask that one too)

How do you like teaching Kindergarten? (You have the same kids everyday from morning until 2:30 or something. You run gym and computer and various other things. It's an English emmersion genuine Kindergarten class and you are their only teacher. Oh God. She seemed to like it. Apparently when she got there they spoke no English and now they can tell her what they did on the weekend, etc. etc. I think this is a good situation because they are not exhausted from a full day at their regular school. They also might not think they're wasting their time like older kids tend to.)

How big are the classes? (max 10. She has 8 kids)

Are there specific curriculum/guidelines or are you left to your own devices? (There is guidance... it will all work out.)

Living

Do you like Suji? (Yes, she seemed to.)

Is there a big foreigner community there? (Huge, they're everywhere)

How long does it take you to get into Seoul? (Forty minutes or so)

How are the apartments? Far from school? Decently furnished? (They are all moving to new apartments in August because the school recently moved to a bigger location and the current leases are running out. So they're moving closer to the school. I hope they'll be nice...They come with all the standard furnishings. No DVD player. Garden State, I'll miss you. )

Overall, are you happy working there? (She sounded pretty happy with the situation. Her advice: make sure you know what you're getting into and that you really want to be here.)

My email to Paul at CWS:

Hi Paul,

I just talked to one of the teachers. AND... sounds good to me! Sign me up.

Jessica

I don't know what happens next. Does he want to hire me for sure or do I still have to prove myself somehow? There's still the contract that has to be written and signed. If this one works out I'll be on my way in a week and a half.

4 Comments:

At June 20, 2005 5:42 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Other than working in the morning, it doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds more like an actual school then the typical English hagwon that I'm working at. Maybe it will be a really good teaching/learning environment. To be honest, I'd seriously consider taking it if it was me. A good working environment is better than having mornings off.

Do you have that other teacher's e-mail address? Maybe you could ask her the questions that you missed via e-mail.

Now that you've told Paul that you like it, the job is basically yours. He'll probably send you a contract to sign, if he hasn't already. Make sure that you pick though that thing with a fine toothed comb. Use the contract guide at www.efl-law.com as a guide. If you don't like something on it, you can probably get it changed.

 
At June 20, 2005 9:07 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks Margie!! It looks like all your strenuous crossing may have paid off!!! Ahh.

I agree, Blake. I didn't realize teaching kindies meant that you have them the whole day and can actually develop a routine and rapport and everything. And 9:45 is so much different than 9:00. Really it is!

I did get the teacher's email address so I guess I'll drop her a line before I go to find out about the dress code and to see if the teachers there want anything from Canada. Gotta buy my friends, after all...

 
At June 20, 2005 12:06 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Jess!! I think younger children find it easier to learn languages, and it might even be fun!
Jen

 
At June 21, 2005 12:04 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks Jen! I think you're right. At least I hope you are!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home