Thursday, November 23, 2006

All I want to do is play with my cube

At some point everyday I get an idea for what I will late blog about, only to run out of time and miss the opportunity.

On Monday I was going to write about the solution I’ve found for having no time to do the things I need to do. That is to skip other obligations like class and researching. That way I can do other important things like sleep and grade really bad-to-grade papers. Yes!

On Tuesday I was going to write about another solution I’ve found for having no time to do the things I need to do, and that is to play with a rubik’s cube. It’s fun, and near impossible unless you’re a math genius. I want to be a rubik’s cube genius. My fellow researcher and I spent some serious time working on a rubik’s cube I bought at the paper store under my school in Korea. It has six sides as usual but each is adorned with a country flag. The countries are Korea, Japan, Canada, USA, France, and Great Britain. Makes sense.

This is how far I got. Looks pretty good, right? Except according to the instructions we found online you need to start with the top layer and you must have a T shape on each side of other countries. Here you can see that I got the USA T shape but that my Korea side is not right. I needed to switch two corners and when I tried, disaster struck. At least I have photographic evidence of a full top. Whoo!


On Wednesday I was going to write about how I seem to interact with professors in a way that makes my fellow classmates reel in shock and horror. I joke around with them, (unless I’m crying, that is) and say things others wouldn’t. The other day that same fellow researcher and I crashed a wine and cheese celebratory dissertation completion thing for a student we’d never met. We were just hoping that the wine would add a little something to the rubik’s cube solution. I had been chatting with a professor about a variety of things (including moving to France, which he fully supports – because that way I can do my PhD research abroad…). On the way out I asked him if he can do rubik’s cubes.

“I’m stupid when it comes to things like that,” he said. “I’m no good at Sodoku either.” He looked to my friend, who’s Asian, and asked, “Are you?”

“No,” she answered.

“Why not? You’re Asian!” I said.

Authority and respect? Nah.

Today is Thursday and thanks to an extension on the paper grading I’m finally going to finish that today. Today, I tell you!

This weekend I think I might re-magic straighten my hair. Fancy that! And I’m going to initiate Jordana into the magical world of Indian food. She’ll thank me forever. I thank Wendy forever. Thanks Fred!
These are my dogs Kwinter and Oliver, who were happy to see me this weekend. I was happy to see them.


5 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 5:36 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am scared but I am going to do it!

And maybe I will thank you.

 
At November 23, 2006 11:53 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

just peel off the stickers and re-stick them. that's the easiest way to do it...

;)

 
At November 25, 2006 10:17 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww, you have such a cute weiner dog!

--Dan

 
At November 25, 2006 10:19 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

YOu did it!!

Everyone keeps suggesting that, Kiran. Nooo!!!

Thanks, BIg Dan!

 
At November 29, 2006 8:05 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

will smith actually learned how to complete a rubik's cube for his new movie "the pursuit of happyness"

he is cool...

but you probably already saw this on oprah...and no I DON'T watch oprah, what are you talking about?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home