Sunday, April 30, 2006

Lotus Lantern Festival

The second great day in a row, it was. The latern festival was fantastic! So much free stuff to do (though it was slightly too busy for me to bother doing a lot of it). You could make your own laterns, paint a number of different things, sew, stamp, bead, etc. etc. etc. You could have your picture taken in traditional Korean clothing. You could watch great dance numbers, singing performances, and drumming. You could play games. You could see any foreigner who lives in Seoul or the Seoul vicinity, or even not at all in Seoul.

I pressed paper onto an inky black stamp with lots of Chinese script on it. And I decorated a small frying rice cake with weeds and then ate it. Sara painted a lovely picture and she also made a lantern. We watched a group of taekwondo boys perform to that song "I see you looking at me like you're some kinda freak..." They thought they were doing taekwondo and they got roped into dancing to pop music. Suckers.

The lanters are all so lovely, aren't they?? I can't believe my eyes! What beauty!

At night was the big parade and it was the most beautiful parade I've ever seen. Plus, a parade in the Spring makes so much more sense than one in November. There was no Santa in this parade but Buddha made up for it.
The colors and enthusiasm were impossible to catch on camera. I tried though, and you can check out those attempts, plus the rest of my fantastic weekend, here.

Four days until I'm in Tokyo!

1 Comments:

At May 01, 2006 5:01 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey hey, thanks, it really was! I'll be in Tokyo for three nights and three days, ish. I can't wait!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home