Monday, April 24, 2006

My tooth dream

I'm almost sure I've written about this before but I can't seem to find that old post.

Last night I had one of my only typical and recurring dreams. In it I'm at home in Thornhill and my parents are away at work. Maybe I'm a bit younger than I am now and I'm waiting for them to get home. One of my teeth (a k9 I believe) becomes loose and eventually I push it out with my tongue. This is horrifying. I think there was a bit more to it but I can't recall the details. It was incredibly vivid when I woke up.

I have had this dream a number of times in my life, once when all the teeth in my mouth crumbled out.

The online interpretations I can find aren't all that useful, though a common one says that I might be concerned about my physical appearance and aging. That's a possibility. This weekend I had a moment of humiliation...

We were at the bar hanging around and I had taken the time to beautify myself more than usual. Heels and all. There was a tall guy standing nearby with his friends whose eyes I could feel on me for quite some time. I mentioned him to Sara and joked around about how he wanted me. On our way out the door what happened? He stopped HER to talk. Ouch. Guess I misjudged his gaze. It actually was an all around downer night when my friends were all talking to new people and I wasn't at all. This is not a big deal, really, but usually I have a hoodie, sneakers and jeans on and can still get noticed. On Friday I thought I looked really good. Maybe I scared everyone away with the heels? Anyway, I digress.

I don't think this flicker of insecurity is the cause of the dream because before I went to sleep my mind was racing with travel plans and new ideas which I won't share just yet. I also took Nyquil which always is influential on my dreams.

Anyway, the tooth dream freaks me out every time I have it. Shudder.

6 Comments:

At April 24, 2006 6:50 p.m. , Blogger Simmeron said...

I am not an expert or anything, but a few months ago I caught this show on some cable channel that was about dream analysis. One of the episodes highlighted a dream about teeth - falling out and crumbling - I don't remember the statistics, but many people experience this dream.

They said that teeth falling out or crumbling indicated a fear of "losing face" or creditibility. Which would seem to fall in line with your experience at the bar.

This might not be the case with your situtation, but it does sound like it could be. The thing that the "dream experts" kept emphasising during that show was that, "dreams are all very personal and interpretations can vary from each one."

Hope that helps to shed some light on your dream.

Regards,
Simmeron

 
At April 24, 2006 10:55 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

i've heard that in addition to the flying dream (which, oddly enough, i've never had), the teeth falling out dream is the most common (i've had this one though).

i've always read that it signifies that you want to return to childhood, ie: a time of less stress and less responsibility...the teeth falling out being a major (maybe traumatic) change that everyone goes through in their life...during childhood.

so maybe you're just really stressed out right now or you're sick of being responsible...

either way...it's all gonna end soon, right?

at least for awhile...

 
At April 25, 2006 7:56 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Simmeron, thanks for the insight and the comment! I didn't feel like I was still thinking about that moment, but maybe I was. Maybe I still am. Ahh.

Kiran, I think you left this same comment the last time I had this same dream. GOod thing though since I'd forgotten. I'm not stressed right now particularly, nor am I all that responsible. Maybe I'm just ready to move on.

Tony, I've heard that one before in Canada too and in fact, the first time I had this dream my grandmother died soon after. This was an uppertooth. Thanks for the compliment!

 
At April 25, 2006 4:34 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dream analysis is highly nuanced. There are no universal meanings.

 
At April 25, 2006 6:45 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks, resident psychologist.

 
At April 30, 2006 11:16 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO READ YOUR WHOLE DREAM :FIRST OFF UNDERSTAND AND FEEL CONFIDENT THAT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS THIS DREAM AT LEAST ONCE. HERE'S THE MEANING: DECAYED OR FALLING OUT TEETH SIGNIFIES FINANCIAL REVERSES AND INSECURITIES RELATED TO FINANCES IF THEY WERE SPIT OUT, THEN RELAX, EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.THIS ONE'S ON THE HOUSE. NEXT TIME VISIT:WWW.TRANSLATEYOURDREAMS.BLOGSPOT.COM OR WRITE ME @ KIENNEANYGIFT@AOL.COM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home