Thursday, March 30, 2006

Suji Alert

The poor, poor new girl. Today she came running into work panting from her run to school. A young Korean man had flashed her and follwed her and flashed again in the safe, baby laden streets of Suji. She was understandably shaken up.

I myself have never been assaulted in any way (unless you count the legless ajumma beggar in the subway who slapped my leg one time) but many foreigners have.

One of my coworkers has had a man cross a busy street to grab her breasts, and on another occassion a man followed her through a parking lot near her house, openly fondling himself until she had to push him out of her way.

Another coworker was assaulted in the dark alleyway near her house. She credits her boss at the time for finding her an apartment in a dark alleyway.

My male coworker was hit from behind by three guys one night and then kicked in the face resulting in a broken nose. He said he was drunkenly minding his own business at the time so who knows if this is a legitimate story.

Another crazy story I heard is that a foreigner guy (in sleepy Suji) was in bed when he heard a rustling in his room. Turned out a man was sitting right in his apartment!! Needless to say, I lock my doors.

What's all this about?

[update: what a surprise! Both my parents responded to this post within minutes of its writing]

5 Comments:

At April 01, 2006 12:22 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Matt from Livejournal (dharmaeye). You messaged me a while ago about getting into U of T. I just wanted to let you know that I visited the department and I was very impressed. If you're interested in demography and immigration then you'll definitely have a lot of people to work with.

Oh, and in response to your post: WTF?!?!?! That's insane, especially the guy sitting in the apartment.

 
At April 01, 2006 9:19 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Matt,
What impressed you most? I wonder how big our MA class will be...

As for the guy. I know. I mean, it's always nice to meet new people when you're abroad, but this is ridiculous!

 
At April 01, 2006 9:12 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was told by Lorne Tepperman (a professor there) that they got 120 applications and only accepted 11 people. So I think our class is going to be small.

I was impressed with how much research was available for grad students to take part in. It's a research intensive school, and there are only a small number of grad students, so there is a lot to choose from.

 
At April 01, 2006 10:58 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

my friend in gangneung came home one night to find some men from her building having a party in her apartment and most were wearing various pairs of her underwear as hats while dancing around...

imagine that...

true story...

 
At April 02, 2006 6:37 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I guess they weren't just using scare tactics on their website, then. Small indeed!

Kiran, now I'll definitely remember to lock my doors. That's unbelievable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home