Thursday, March 23, 2006

School lunches: Thursday (and my road to stardom)

Lunch today was chap chey (I don't actually know how to romanize this one properly...) It seems like everyone has something in Korea that they used to love to eat but now can't stomach the thought of. Sara, for example, can't even think about mandu OR cheese toasts, two things I hold near and dear to my heart. For me, one of those things is chap chey. It's actually quite delicious and I'd recommend it: glass noodles, various veggies, some meat, and a sesame flavour (I think). The problem for me is that it's always served cold and greasy-like at school and I just can't take it. I don't know what the green stuff is on the other side of the kimchi.

Today I took it anyway. Here is my plate. Luckily the seafood soup was a little bit hearty today so I didn't die of starvation.. until about 4:30 rolled around.

In more interesting news, I held my first concert the other day for an audience of six! I have six kids now.. but again, I don't want to talk about the demon(s). I found this website with the chords for all my kid's favourites including Baby Beluga, Down by the Bay, Twinkle Twinkle, and a bunch of others you'd remember. It's amazing the things I remember from my childhood. Like the amazing trick of putting something on your elbow, snapping your hand down, and catching it no problem every time! Lately my kindergarten kids love "criss cross, applesauce. spiders crawling up your back, spiders crawling down your back.." Whoever can finish the rest of this rhyme wins a prize.


I recently taught my elementary kids the full "eeny , meeny, miny, mo" verse plus "my mother says to pick this one". Ahh, It's wonderful.

So anyway, I am really enjoying taking the guitar more seriously and am seeing real improvement. I'm going to buy a decent one and have yet to decide on whether I'll get it in Korea (where it's cheaper than at home) or in Canada (where it's more convenient in terms of transporation and not getting screwed.)

This is John. He's really got to learn how to hold a pick if he wants to make it someday.

And Mel, here is your namesake Melissa. She has the sweetest smile you ever did see. Takes after her... mother.

2 Comments:

At March 23, 2006 2:24 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just discovered your blog and started reading the beginning... great information on coming to Korea/preparations/etc. Keep on blogging :)

 
At March 24, 2006 12:30 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey, thanks a lot!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home