Friday, October 21, 2005

I hate my job

Today was the icing on the cake of a bad week. Why not go out with a bang, right? I think four out of seven kids in my elementary class cried, and not because I'm losing my mind and being a mean teacher, but because they're damn spoiled brats who cry if they don't get a turn right away or if the get caught cheating. Crying doesn't phase me anymore. What phases me is a classful of five year olds who never listen.

Yoon puked in the garbage can today, on top of it all, but he came out of the experience unscathed.

The only reprieve today was what one little six year old girl in Scott's class wrote in her journal: I spilled milk and got shat on. I am very sad and never do it again.

Can you believe her perfect grammatical usage? I wonder what she was trying to write.

I need this weekend to lift my spirits. Now I understand why English teachers are alcoholics.

2 Comments:

At October 22, 2005 5:52 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Korean wife, who is a hagwon teacher, deals with the problems of kids crying by asking them: "Why are you crying? Are you a baby?" Apparently, it works, particularly if they are crying for a dumb reason -- like losing in a fair contest and so forth.

 
At October 23, 2005 6:01 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks for the tip. I actually have been using that one lately. It's funny when I hear these lines come out of my mouth that sound just the same as they did fifteen years ago when my teachers said the same to me. No, I don't have eyes on the back of my head, but I do wonder if my kid would write on the walls at home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home