Monday, October 10, 2005

Eight months and twenty one days left

Every once in a while I wonder whether I can make it this whole year. Of course I can, but I still wonder.

On Saturday I went to sleep at 4am and woke up without fail before nine. Then last night the computer guy was here until 12:30, at which point I obviously had to play around a bit reading emails and downloading itunes so I didn't get to bed until after one thirty. I usually like to fall asleep somewhere between ten thirty and twelve. This is a draining job, I tell you!

So today I felt like a zombie. Ugh. If I'm not in top condition the kids are bad. When I'm a perfect, angelic teacher there's a slim possibility they might be good. Luckily my class from hell was actually manageable today. I've uncovered a couple of tricks that are helping my situation. The first is the seating rearrangement that keeps them from getting distracted. The second is using the board more and having them come up to write on it more. Too much oral stuff makes it impossible to keep them in control. The last is moving Matthew up a level and out of the class. Ahh.

Whenever I think I've got things figured out though, they eventually slip away and I need to come up with a new plan.

Today my oldest and most advanced (though still beginner) class was running as usual with the apple table versus the ice cream table. Two boys, two girls. In short, a usually very sweet, mild mannered girl caused her table to lose a star and subsequently lost it herself. You should have seen her face of rage with tears and snot dripping off her chin. Okay, I exaggerate, but I seriously could almost see the devil horns pushing up through her scalp. When I came back from a five minute break she had thrown crayons all over the room. Unreal. Bingo perked her right up later in the class. Don't worry, I don't give sympathy to sissies.

So I guess I can make it. I'll have to make. No, I won't accept my mother's tantalizing offer of a free ticket home. Why? Because I don't feel done here after all. I have places to see, things to do, and children to conquor. And just under nine months to do it in. Plus I think I'd have a greater risk of bird flu at home in Toronto, thank you very much.

My collection of postcards has reached five; Canada, Montreal, Toronto, Algarve (Portugal) and Ottawa. We can do better than this!

Itunes won't open and neither will MSN. What's going on here?

2 Comments:

At October 10, 2005 6:31 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Jess, you can make it! haha. It sounds like you're doing A-OK. I'm impressed how you're able to adapt to the constantly changing situations in the class. I bet you're one fine teacher, hehe.

Tomorrow we have our last Ulpan class and my Hebrew is well...coming along swimmingly. Still much to improve, but definitely better than when I arrived...

My boyfriend went back to the airforce today, so I'm sad :( I wish I had little kids birthday parties to cheer me up (haha). Those sound like fun (and needless to say, free food is always good).

Oh yes, I think your new life plan sounds like a good idea. Take as much time as you need off of school, the last thing you want to do is rush into something. Get some work experience, decide forsure and go for it. And 31 ain't old, so don't worry. Remember, 40 is the new 30. You'll be a great sociologist (whatever that entails...haha).

Ok, I'll let you go. Just wanted to say hi. I miss you!!!

 
At October 12, 2005 4:57 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Rand, thanks for the long comment! Sorry you're sad that your boyfriend went back to the airforce today. Sometimes it's fun to be sad about things like that though, wouldn't you say?

Forty is the new thirty. I like that. Miss you too. Remember: no glove, no love.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home