Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Home from the island part two

On Monday we woke up in time for a nine o'clock breakfast of fish soup, fried fish bones and all, and side dishes. Rice too, of course. I particularly like the shredded potatoe side dish. Again, everyone complained about the fish and fish, but I liked the fish. What's wrong with fish? Especially when it's fried.

We headed on our way to the first stop: horseback riding. I've been horseback riding a number of times, both as a kid and in recent life. As a kid I loved it. My best horseback riding memory is riding bareback through the ocean on the coast of Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The horses stampeded through the blue water that came up past their bellies. It was unbelievable. In more recent times I've been travelling. Once in Cuba with Wendy. She wanted to canter but her horse wouldn't move unless mine did, and I was none too pleased about the situation. In Israel too, we rode through the Haifa hills with a hot Israeli guiding the way. This was probably the cheesiest horse riding experience I've had abroad. The little horses circled slowly around an outer circle and then sped up and galloped through a smaller one. You didn't even hold the reigns but a metal loop attached to the saddle. D'Arcy's horse wandered into the brush to say hello to his fenced in cronies. Yogi-oh!!! I had a great time but my inner thighs hurt like crazy today.

After that we went to a few different places that I can't even remember now. We saw a folk village and the idiots on the trip got a kick out of mispronouncing the name. Hilarious. We ate pork which apparently was pork bulgogi but I was sure that bulgogi was the sweet sauce on beef all the time. Who can clear this one up for me? We went to another beach but couldn't swim because it had no showers and we were about to board the plane. We also walked through a long lava stream or something, a cave-like tunnel that had been blasted through with lava. Maybe that was before the beach. It's all a blur to me now.

As I said, I had a good time. I got to see a lot of things in a short time and I appreciate that. But I think I would have liked renting a car and doing it on my own watch. I don't like being forced into the company of people and feeling like I'm back in highschool again. Not that I did, exactly, but I would have if I was still in highschool. I don't know what I'm talking about. I look forward to going to Bangkok and Phuket, which is where I'm now going for Christmas, and choosing my own schedule.

Got two postcards today. Thanks a lot Mike and Wend!

3 Comments:

At October 04, 2005 10:10 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures...BTW, "bulgogi" can be best traslated as "BBQ" so one can have Pork, Beef, or Chicken BBQ ("bulgogi") with different marinade for different meat. Without specifying the meat normally it means Beef BBQ, just like a "steak" normally means beef, unless the meat is specified e.g. "salmon steak". OK, this was a boring comment.

 
At October 04, 2005 9:46 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

For even further clarification, gogi means meat.

As you probably know, mul is water. If you say mul-gogi, you are saying seafood.

 
At October 05, 2005 7:20 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Ahhh, makes perfect sense. Here I am thinking I know it all.

I DID, however, know that mulgogi means fish. My kids make sure to teach me everything in Korean that I teach to them in English and we just finished a week studying sea creatures.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home