Monday, September 26, 2005

Four hugs a day

I can't sleep. It's early and I'm exhausted but I can't sleep. I was lying in bed thinking about this weekend, grad school options, and hugs.

This weekend: Maybe I'll get some hugs.

Grad school: How about a thesis on blogging and community? Or blogging and the self? There's gotta be some great sociological discoveries to be made that will do nothing for society, right?

Hugs: I was one of those who broke up with a boyfriend right before going away to University. It was okay because I never really liked him all that much. (I should remember that this is not quite anonymous). Anyway, we broke up and I left for school without the blink of an eye. After a few weeks I noticed something was missing. I didn't feel quite right. What was it? It was a lack of physical contact. Not only was I boyfriend-less but I was also away from my family and friends, even my dogs. I got no hugs. I realized then that I need hugs.

I have to say that I'm not one for casual hugs from people I don't care for. I detest those phony half hugs which are so often accompanied by a phony half cheek kiss or two depending on provice/country of origin. I don't like when people's knees rest on mine or sticky arms touch mine on the subway. But I crave a good, rib crushing hug once in a while.

The kids can be pretty affectionate sometimes but it's not the same as reaching up or around into a substantial embrace, you know?

Today I initiated a bit of interstaff hugging. It actually made a difference in my mood. You'd be amazed what a hug or two can do. Go hug someone now. And if you're around me and I like you, go in for the kill.

5 Comments:

At September 26, 2005 8:13 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's the gentle massage effect around the bottom end of sternum which contains bundled nerve endings that makes hugs enjoyable.

 
At September 27, 2005 3:47 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Is that so? Interesting... very interesting.

 
At September 28, 2005 3:10 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

Jess...I completely understand your wanting and yearning for a good hug from someone who means something! That is one thing I miss about my ex (God it is weird calling him that) is a nice big giant warm hug that makes me feel secure...I love my kindy hugs..don't get my wrong...but they tend to lead to slobbery kisses they love giving me and then my fear of air born bacteria and strange germs make me ridgid and stiff and then I want to push them away...Hugs are good...I think I need a good hug too!!! - sorry about Friday...I totally suck...and what's worse is that at the hospital the doctor had dirty cotton balls and used needles in a metal tray on the table and there was no soap in the washrooms...it was disgusting..I had to go to Rachel's place after just to get the icky feeling off me..I just didn't want to be alone..I was a little traumatized!!! Hope you never ever have to experience that!

 
At September 28, 2005 5:49 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

So the doctor didn't give you a great big bear hug on the way out?!? Dang. I can't believe a hospital would have no soap in the bathrooms. If they only knew the kind of sanitization that goes on at home, what with SARS and everything... Watch out! Next time I see you I give you a hug. :)

 
At September 28, 2005 9:46 p.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

sweet...I love hugs!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home