Saturday, September 17, 2005

Sandwiches are beatiful, sandwiches are fine

Today I succumbed to a craving I never really had by buying myself a half sized loaf of white bread, a jar of Ottogi strawberry jam, and Extra Crunchy Skippy peanut butter.

Besides two baguettes I've bought over the past two and a half months, which never actually made it home, this is the first bread I've bought. With rice every day, there's never really a need for it. Bread in Korea is pretty standard white wherever you go. Paris Baguette, which is as common as Tim Horton's in Toronto, sells a variety of fancier variations but as far as I can tell, they're all whiter than Whole Wheat Wonder. That doesn't say much. My loaf is bagged so that you look down upon the top of all the slices' crusts. You don't see only the end. Get what I'm saying?

As for the peanut butter, I had the choice of Extra Creamy or Extra Crunchy and went for the crunch. My family tends to be a creamy one so I thought I'd rebel. We're also a Coke family and I just finished off a bottle of Pepsi. But that came free last week as 'service'. No tipping and service make this country worth living in. Back to the point, my 510 gram (the small size) tub of peanut butter cost me 550,000 won! That's more than six dollars Canadian! A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Now, the jam is not so noteworthy except that I love how it's so fake that you don't get stuck with large chunks of strawberry. I hate those large chunks and always scrape them off the bread and put them back in the jar, but that leaves me with more chunks to avoid the next time. Always an issue. Well, the matter is solved!

All three things, bread, peanut butter, and jam, have found a home in my refrigerator. Back in Canada I would only refrigerate the jam but for some reason I like to refrigerate things here. Like soya sauce. Why? I can't answer that question.

My voice is a whisper so I can't even answer my phone to the plethora of suitors dialing me up. I aplogize now, men. Today I was not only voiceless but it also poured rain so I watched old movies and old television shows all day long. Jurrasic Park is pretty good as an adult too.

My family is in Montreal preparing for a fancy dinner at a great steakhouse. They've been telling me for weeks how the reservation is for nine and if only I was there it would be ten, blah blah blah. Well, have fun you guys. You're jealous of my crunchy peanut butter and smooth jam sandwich on whiter than white.

I'll expect a medium rare in the next package.

4 Comments:

At September 17, 2005 10:08 a.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

now what the heck is that song? it's driving me crazy?

and the super white bread? i know, it's kind of gross eh...it's called 'uyu bbang' or something, milk bread, and that makes it even grosser.

in gangneung, all i could find was corn milk bread, and it had little hard kernerls of corn speckled in the bread, i almost heaved, i had to pick them all out...

wait 'til you try one of the donuts with bulgogi in it. ridiculous! my students thought it was the best thing they had ever tasted, a glazed sweet donut with 'fire meat' in it...koreans have some strange tastes...

 
At September 18, 2005 8:44 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Hi! Just mailed a uniquely Canadian postcard today. Hope you get it soon!

 
At September 18, 2005 9:37 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Sandwiches are beautiful
Sandwiches are fine
I like sandwiches
I eat them all the time
I eat them in the morning
and I eat them in the night
and if I don't have sandwiches...

I forget the last line. Do you know it??

It is kind of gross. Not soft and chewy and delicious like the Wonder I desire. Or crusty. I love crusty. But for pb and j it's all about Wonder.

Donuts with Bulgogi?!?! I like bulgogi, and I don't mind donuts. What can be wrong with that? ;)

Mike, really? Thanks! THat's great!

 
At October 27, 2006 4:05 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't W5,500 a lot closer to $6 Canadian?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home