Thursday, September 15, 2005

Konglish

Last night I read from the menu "al-puh-lae-toh cuh-leam saw-suh Sup-uh-get-ti". Cream sauce spaghetti I got, but what was al-pu-lae-toh? I asked and found out. Alfredo, of course! It's funny when you're reading for the hell of it and the realize it's English. Salad, Cajun, family fitness.. it never ends. Will I still know how to read Korean when this whole thing is far behind me? My kids will hate me for my coolness.

Sara was dismayed the other day when shopping for brown bobby pins. Why are they all black!?!?! Take a look around, honey.

I got my second gift as a teacher today. The first was a sparkly lip gloss from Liz who I no longer teach. Today I got a fancy bag from Peter's mom. The post-it note addressed it to "Techer". I'm happy anyway. I love gifts. I'm hoping tomorrow I rake in for Korean Thanksgiving, better known as Chusok. Maybe I'll get a Spam gift set if I'm lucky.

The World Cup Museum was really cool, actually. The kids had fun kicking soccer balls around and checking out the stadium. We sat in the stands which were otherwise empty and then watched emotional footage of the "Reds" kicking Spanish, Portuguese, and everyone else's ass. Even the five years olds were cheering and clapping at the goal reruns. I felt nationalistic pride. It's regrettable that Canadians don't have something like that to bring us all together.

I have received no postcards from any of you. You should be lowering your eyes in shame. Except you.

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2005 4:45 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

There is this thing called "hockey".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home