Friday, September 30, 2005

Pink-uh

I woke up this morning with my eyes glued together. No it wasn't a college prank, but lots and lots of 'golden slumbers'. Oh oh. Don't tell me...

I think I have pink eye. I'm getting good at self diagnosis.

I considered for one second returning to that ear, nose and throat clinic but thought twice. Instead I treked over to the nearest pharmacy, a two minute walk, and rehearsed my charade I planned to enact to communicate the problem. This one wouldn't be as easy as "Is this laundry detergent?" - point to clothes and say "wash??" or "I need floor cleaner" - pretend to clean the floor in the cleaning products aisle and then do the universal shoulder shrug and palms up to heaven. This one would take creativity and flair. Eyes glued together? Hmmm...

The pharmacist spoke English.

She gave me eye drops special for conjunctivitis (not even a prescription needed) and charged me three dollars. I walked home and was hit with the memory of my childhood detestation for eyedrops. I needed eyedrops as a kid. My mother used to have to give them to me and I cried and hated them. I'm sure she felt awful about it. I wished she was here now to give them to me and I felt a surge of homesickness for a moment.

Everything is fine though and I'm leaving in an hour for Jeju-do. Here are some of the things on the jam packed itinerary:

Airport arrival
Visit Dragon Shape Rock
Visit Magic Road
Move to Jeju Full House (Accomm.)
Dinner Party with Samgyupsal(B.B.Q)
Visit Five Snow Rock
Visit Seokbujak Theme Pa°¡
Visit Miniature Tree House(Lunch)
Visist Cheonjiyeon Water Fall
1. Time for Beach
2. Cheju Cruise(Option/\15,000)
Breakfast
Lunch
Visit Halla Mt. tour
Visit Sungeup Falk Village
Visit Horse Riding
Visit Sunrise Land
Visit Supjicoji
Visit Sea Woman Village
Airport
Back to Boondang

Asiana Airlines 8597 incheon-cheju

I have no idea what most of these things are but it should be good no matter what. At least it's not raining there like it has been here for the past day and a half non stop.

I really hate it when my umbrella bumps against someone else's or a tree. That feeling irritates me to no end. All my kids, even the least advanced ones, know the word umbrella. I remember learning it in Mrs. Jamieson's kindergarten class in French. It's a memorable word worldwide.

5 Comments:

At October 02, 2005 3:10 a.m. , Blogger RLB said...

Oh, thank goodness you got some medicine! The pinkeye is sooo contagious.

 
At October 02, 2005 2:50 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess, it's Katie! I am checking out your blog b/c there was a link to it at Randi's page!

I had pink eye in both my eyes last year and it was not fun. I hated the drops too, but they worked quickly! I remember people said I looked like the devil because my eyes were red!!!

I hope you are enjoying yourself- 1/2 your enteries sound positive and 1/2 of them sound like you are in serious culture shock. I hope things are well and that you are having an experience of a life time.

I was in Thailand in August and now I'm at UofT for my Masters of Industrial Relations and Human Resourcs...long enough name! haha Things are going well, but when I read your blog and randi's, i start to get that travel bug again.

take care of youself

katie

 
At October 02, 2005 2:51 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

katie- from mac...again!

oh and your comment about the hugs made me almost cry!!! hahaha it's true though, hugs can make your day!

now i want one! boo hoo :)

 
At October 04, 2005 4:28 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I hope none of the twenty seven people I spent the weekend with caught it, but it seems to be under control now...

Katie! Great to hear from you. I'm glad things are going well with you. How are you liking U of T. The program? The school? The people? I have to make some of them decisions pretty soon...

Send me your email address!

Oh, and give yourself a hug from me. :)

 
At October 04, 2005 9:59 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha they probably did catch it, pink eye is super contageous!

UofT is great, so far--i'm waiting for it to turn bad because of all the anti UofT stories i've heard!

there are only 20ppl in my program so it's a close knit group and we have all of our classes in the same room! you feel like you're at a mini school within a giant campus.

here is my email: katherine.fines@gmail.com

good to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home