Thursday, October 13, 2005

Suwon Fortress

Apparently it's a noteworthy place in the world. I forget the proper name for it, but it's noteworthy. We spent the whole kindergarten day there and I loved every minute of not having to really teach. I rode around in a dragon train. I ate kimbap in the forest, and I rounded up kids throughout a folk village. At least I think it was a folk village. They never bother to explain what's going on in English, unfortunately.


Suwon is a nearby city where I almost accepted a job before I got this one in Suji. It is fortified by a wall that's very very old. They pointed out the holes for guns to the kindergarteners. At some point in Korean history a king retreated here from Seoul to protect himself from the enemies. Wow, do I ever know a lot about history. I could easily be wrong about any of this. I did notice that the city of Suwon is significantly older and more run down than Suji. The kids liked playing in the sand more than they cared about the historical implications of the place. And so did I.
Here is the king on his horse! I think it's the king. In any case horses are always nice. Did you know that the position of the horse indicates how the person in the monument died. I don't remember how it goes but if the horse is standing on both front legs it means one thing and if it has one front leg raised it means another. And if it's up on its hind legs, well, you know what that means.
Here I am with my kids and my really sweet Korean helper who feeds the kids lunch and takes care of them during the ten minute breaks between periods. She handles the criers and the bathroom issues. She does the dirty work. If only I could remember her name!

When I got back from the field trip the last thing I felt like doing was teaching my elementary class. Luckily my one student was absent so I spent some time making my classroom look nice and then went home early.

I just got home from a dinner of vietnamese wraps and Bas-uh-kin Lobbins. Drew Barrymore is the main ad campaign. City ice cream. She likes green tea flavour.

Today I'm thinking about my trip to Thailand in December. I hope these two and a half months hurry by. Anyone want to meet me there?

5 Comments:

At October 13, 2005 3:20 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great history lesson. :)

Unrelated to this current post, but have you seen this? I'm not saying you're over there illegally because it doesn't sounds like it... I just thought you'd be interested since it's about Canadian ESL teachers getting kicked out of South Korea.

 
At October 13, 2005 9:43 p.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

hey...looks like you had a cool field trip..beats the darn sweet potatoe pickin we did!!!

- oh yes do you like my new G rated photo?

 
At October 13, 2005 10:19 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I saw the Globe and Mail article (a Canadian newspaper) about it. Thanks for the link. I think I'll address it later today on here.

Yes, SHelly, much better. :)

 
At October 17, 2005 8:13 p.m. , Blogger X said...

That picture is adorable. I admire the fact that you can take such tiny kids on a field trip -- I couldn't handle it!

 
At October 18, 2005 6:54 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I really think the knotted rope idea I still recall from daycare should be implemented here but they don't seem concerned...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home