Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Anyone have any recipes that call for cabbage?

A bad day.

I never thought I was a great teacher, but for a while there I thought I was doing at least a good job with the little ones. Kids were smiling and doing good work. They seemed happy and so was I. For the last few weeks it has been far from good. I find myself raising my voice far too often. My kids are also raising their voices far too often. Who is reacting to who? They whine, hit, complain, whine, refuse, whine. (I originally spelled all those whines without the 'h-ee'. I need a drink-ee) They talk constantly and can't sit properly in their chairs no matter how many times I remind them. They ask to go to the bathroom every three minutes.

Ashley "Teacher, bathroom please".
Me "Not now, Ashley".
Ashley "Bathroom please"
Me "I said no."
Ashley "BATHROOM PLEASE"/
Me :Ignore the little snotface because I know she went to the bathroom twenty minutes ago.

I hate dealing with this shit. I'm not a disciplinarian. I'm not a natural at keeping kids in line either. So what does that mean? They don't take me seriously and I have no power. And I trudge home dejected and in the mood for cookies. Instead I buy what I think is a lettuce. I only want half so when the nice grocer slices the head in half I notice it's actually cabbage but take it home anyway.

I'm currently eating a terrible salad of cherry tomatoes, carrots, fake crab meat, cabbage, and pineapple mustard salad dressing that I thought sounded good but was mistaken.

Sob.

4 Comments:

At October 19, 2005 10:10 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey--Dan here--if you want tips or help or just someone to talk to about this stuff--as i've been there and done that, gimme a call or email. I can't say i'm perfect or have super good ideas, but maybe it will help. I actually walked by your school today as myself, Andrew and Trisha were on a mythic quest for the holy sammich--ie subway. We found it and are pretty psyched that it's so close. That's one cool little area you work in!

 
At October 19, 2005 5:04 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That salad does sound good, though. Yeah, one can't control kids (and adults too) unless the other party is willing. The society can function only through carrot and stick really.

 
At October 20, 2005 10:11 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

in belgium they boil the cabbage and add either mayo or vinegar. i liked it anyhow. Borsch is good too. You can find recipes on net... it's cabbage soup, but you may need beets and sour cream... korea may have neither.

-blake's sister

 
At October 21, 2005 5:04 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Dan. I have yet to see that Subway. Where is it? Whenever school ends I get the hell outta there so I haven't even much explored that little area. Maybe we should discuss kindergarten teaching over a sandwich. Oh wait, you have to teach kindergarteners for twenty minutes a day.

Steve, I'll send you the pineapple dressing and see what you think of it.

Boiled cabbage with mayo?? Hmm.. sounds like coleslaw kind of. I'm thinking I'll probably follow my tried and true recipe of letting it sit in the frigde until it looks black before throwing it into the communal garbage heap in the parking lot. :)

Sour cream is pretty hard to come by in these parts but it is possible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home