Monday, July 11, 2005

Foul!

I clearly remember my very first pool fouling. It was my first session teaching swimming lessons and it was a class of six or seven year olds. We were working on something like front floats. I helped one kid do his float and when I returned my attention to the class, little Varhini was clutching her mouth with a lovely surprise seeping through her fingers. I'll never forget that.

Today I had my very first classroom fouling. The theme for July is food so we were making a fruit salad, or having a fruit taste test. The first fruit we sampled was banana. We talked about its colour on the inside and out, which parts you can eat, and whether we like it or not, I sliced it up and gave each child a taste. I wrote every child's name on the whiteboard and marked whether they like banana. When I turned around, little Yoon had erupted onto the tabletop, banana and all. He was the only child who does not like banana. Thank goodness for those lovely Korean helpers who swept in and fixed everything.

Last night I was woken at around one o'clock to the sounds of a fight RIGHT outside my window. All I could hear was two yelling Korean men and it reminded me a lot of that terrifying subway experience. What's with all the fighting? I took a video of it on my digital camera but I don't know how to post that for you.

Today I took my father's advice and used: Bribery!!! Sugar-coated cereal had my older kids actually READING! Unbelievable. Lesson of the day is bribery works.

Things seem to be getting easier, so I'm feeling up. Let's hope it continues. And now, season two of the bachelor seems to be on. Oh, Aaron just met Gwen. I better go!

4 Comments:

At July 11, 2005 5:46 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Less than an hour after you post and I comment. That must been that I have free time at work! What a concept! :D

Maybe I'll come up to Seoul this weekend.

 
At July 11, 2005 6:04 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah, you should do it. Let me know what your plans are.

If you come on Friday you can stay here in Suji.. there's a popular foreigner bar here. Then Saturday we can look around Seoul and party at night, if you're interested...

 
At July 12, 2005 4:46 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Either this weekend or next weekend. I haven't decided yet.

It's sort of hard to make it for Friday. Ulsan is a few hours away; 4-5 by bus. I can go to Busan and take the KTX from there, but that might take nearly as long that way too (waiting for the bus in Ulsan, waiting for the subway in Busan, waiting for the KTX train in Busan, etc.).

 
At July 12, 2005 7:26 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Alright, whichever weekend is fine by me. Let me know when you do!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home