Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sitting in Seoul

I made it! It took quite a long time but alas I arrived in Seoul. I have made my purchase and I'm now waiting for this guy who sold me the guitar to finish meeting with someone before he and I go out for a bit to eat. I don't really want to go, frankly, but it's too late now. Too late, I tell you!

Today was the worst day ever. I can't even remember why. Every day here seems like an eternity and I'm full of disbelief about the fact that's only Wednesday. Two more days until the weekend!

I tried the posting the rules idea and had a Korean teacher explain them to the kids. Did things improve? Definitely NOT. Kids were out of their seats constantly throughout the day. I guess you can't blame them, right? But it bothers me because there are administrators and staff sitting right out my door looking at the chaos inside.

After work I was talking to my boss about something or other and I expressed my frustration with today. He said "yes, normally the teachers have more control. Yesterday your class seemed to be more controlled than the others but today less". Ouch. Yesterday was pretty good, I must say. My coworkers say the "best" is yet to come. D'Arcy, don't rush into anything, hear me?! :) Come quick though, I want a friend!

So I bought this guitar for 75,000 won which is a little more than seventy five bucks. It's made of plywood and is probably not very good but all I want it for is to learn. I'll use it for the year and buy myself a good one some other time. Since I bought it this guitar-selling guy is going to treat me to dinner. If I hadn't bought one it would be 'dutch'. No pressure, he assured me.

I took a bus into Seoul from Suji which was a very comfortable and pretty quick ride. Then I could have taken the subway to where I am now, which is the Hongik University area, but I haven't taken the subway before so I decided not to risk it on my own. I think I'll try to take it on my way home. Hopefully I can get home. Don't worry Mom, everything will be fine. Especially since I now have my very own cell phone! Alright! Too bad it's in Korean.

So that's all the news I've got for you now. Stay tuned for another update: Awkward dinner with a stranger and How Jessica found her way home.

5 Comments:

At July 06, 2005 2:57 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

did you try saying "ongdongi on your chair!!!"???

next time you go to seoul make sure you head to insadong, i guarantee you'll love it!

do you have a favourite ramyeon brand yet?

 
At July 06, 2005 5:14 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

No, I forgot that one! I have to remember it for today.

Now that I'm a subway pro I'll definitely check out Insadong. What's so loveable about it?

I've only had one package of ramyeon noodles so far. Pretty impressed, are you?

 
At July 07, 2005 11:55 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Spaghetti ramyeon noodles are the best.

 
At July 08, 2005 1:27 a.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

insadong is the antiques area of seoul...a pedestrian only street filled with little shops selling paintbrushes, special korean handmade paper, lanterns and artwork along with galleries and cafes...if you like starbucks, insadong is home to the starbucks with the only foreign language sign on earth...."suh-tah-buk-suh kuh-pi"

there's usually a wall of murals and a nice fountain and there are a couple of nice buddhist temples and a monastery nearby...

in the mornings there's people doing falun dong at one end of the street, portrait painters, traditional parades and music...

take the subway to ANGUK line 3
or
JONGNO-3-GA line 3 or 5

and ask

shille-hamnida, insa-dong odi-issoyo?

"excuse me, where is insadong?"

and they will point you in the right direction...

 
At July 08, 2005 5:01 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Cool, maybe I'll check it out tomorrow. Blake, you should come tomorrow and check it out with me. Whaddya say?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home