Tuesday, June 28, 2005

On my way

Well guys, this is it. Take a deep breath. I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm about to voluntarily throw myself into a completely foreign country where it will be a struggle to buy groceries, find my way, and ask for help. Signs will mean nothing to me, I know of three Korean dishes that are guaranteed delicious, and teaching, well, what can I say about teaching when I know nothing about it?

Last year before I left for Israel I sent an email to friends and family:

"I don't know exactly what to expect, but I'm hoping that this trip will provide for me something that I'm looking for. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for; maybe adventure, maybe responsibility, maybe inspiration, maybe distraction. Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll find at least something. If nothing else, there's always falafel."

Those feelings still apply. I'm not sure that I'll ever find what I'm looking for but with every new experience, whether good or bad, I know that I am growing and becoming. All I want is to continue doing that.

If nothing else, there's always kimchi.

PS: For everyone who's reading this, whether I know you or not, leave a comment please! I'd love some arrival inspiration. (In case you don't know, click on 'comments' and choose 'other' to sign your name).

Speak to you soon, pals.

13 Comments:

At June 28, 2005 10:35 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, friend. See you on the flip side.

 
At June 28, 2005 11:44 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, then. Wow, that's a pretty good "I'm on a mission" statement...hehe and yeah, I think you will be up to the gills in kimchi when you get there...hopefully you won't get sick of it...it's pretty good! The time is certainly near. It's rainy season there I think, but that should be a relief from the humidity in T-dot. Anyway, have a tres tres bon voyage...keep in touch!!!

 
At June 29, 2005 12:34 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on your trip. I cannot wait to read all about your experiences!

I hope you find Korea as exciting as you hope it to be and that your teaching position works out well.

I look forward to reading the next update from Korea!

 
At June 29, 2005 3:53 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

It won't be a relief from Toronto's humidity at all. It's really sweaty here.

See you in Korea!

 
At June 29, 2005 7:04 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

Your entry describes exactly how I am feeling... but I still have two months to prepare myself before the big move! I can't wait to read about all your experiences. Good Luck !!!

Gina (aka KidStreet Champion!)

PS - Deanna and Brad wish you all the best!

 
At June 29, 2005 8:25 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Jess! I'm sure you'll be fine and that it'll be a great learning experience. Maybe Rick and I can come visit!

 
At June 29, 2005 8:41 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited and nervous for you. I'm sure you're going to have an amazing adventure, with many ups and downs to learn from and take with you wherever you may go next... I'll miss you roomie!

 
At June 29, 2005 10:03 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you'll have an amazing time Jess. You're one of the most friendly and thoughtful people I know and that will come through in any culture! I can't wait to hear about everything. You go Korea, I'll go Israel and we'll meet in Nepal or Thailand or...somewhere! Write soon!

 
At June 29, 2005 10:22 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

I'm so excited for you! I hope you have a really great year :)

 
At June 29, 2005 12:31 p.m. , Blogger greyguitar said...

Congrats on finally making it to this far. I wish you the best. And the fact that we can all live vicariously through you if reason enough to be excited.

 
At June 29, 2005 6:59 p.m. , Blogger mandy said...

Good luck! I dig the blog - I can't wait to hear how things turn out!

 
At June 30, 2005 5:56 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, comment city!

Thanks everyone. I love your comments.

Jen Canton, hey stranger! Hope everythings great.

 
At January 07, 2007 4:59 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I did the jump three months ago from Scotland. It's worth it ,this place certainly blows away all the cobwebs the good,the bad and the ugly. I like it and I'm glad I did the jump. I'm sure you will too, an open and curious mind can take you far and for Ulsan it is a necessity.
jellyteecha@lycos.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home