Monday, July 04, 2005

Back to school, back to school...

It's been a while since I've posted because I'm having problems with my computer. Already. MSN works and so does my email account because they automatically come on. But when I try to click on My Favourites or to enter another address into my browser, everything freezes. Any computer wizzes out there?

Yesterday was my first day of teaching on my own and I can definitely say that it went much better than Friday. I prepared a bunch of ideas and they ran relatively smoothly. I'm having some problems though. Like English, for one. The kids don't speak it. They know colours and numbers and letters (well some of them do) but that's it. Another problem is space limitation. They're expected to sit at their tables(there are two big tables pushed together) for five forty minute periods a day. And they're all about four years old, some even younger. There's no carpet to sit on or floor space to move around in. So they understandably get restless. A few of them have a habit of pulling themselves onto the table on their tummy or sitting on their knees in the chair. I'm not sure how to get them to just sit properlybecause telling them doesn't seem to work. Bahh! I'm going crazy and it's only the morning of day two! It's strange when a four year old looks up at you with a bored expression on her face. Doesn't evey kid like singing? Maybe not when it's not in their native tongue.

As far as life in general here, things are going fine. I expected people to stare at me much more than they do. Mostly I go unnoticed. There are actually lots of tall Koreans. Even some women are as tall as I am. The other day a car pulled over to ask for directions and as soon asthey saw me the drove off. I thought that was funny.

I'm in the market to buy a guitar. There's a guy who has one for under $100 so I'm going to go check it out as soon as I have a cell phone. I don't know exactly how to get there so I don't want to take any chances.

I'm not so confident about going into restaurants and things so I haven't been eating too much. I eat granola bars for breakfast, a lunch prepared by the school, and for dinner last night I had a cup of soup. Hopefully I'll lose some extra pounds I've recently put on. Alright! Lack of confidence pays off! Hopefully today will get better and tomorrow will get better until I'm smooth sailing the year away.

I miss my family and friends, though. Oh, and my vacation is in three weeks - Japan here I come!

4 Comments:

At July 05, 2005 12:40 a.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Go to www.mozilla.com and download the Firefox internet browser. I use that instead of internet explorer. It seems to work much better.

 
At July 05, 2005 5:28 a.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

kids sitting on their knees lying on the tables...yes, i know this all too well...

you should make a set of class rules on a big posterboard and then get the korean teacher to help you explain it so they all understand...

things like:

sit properly in you chair
no yelling
no hitting
put your hand up to speak

etc...it works for kindies

another thing that worked with my kids i would say
"ONG DONGII on the CHAIR!!!"

ong dongii means bum and it makes them laugh and it'll definitely get their attention

 
At July 05, 2005 2:42 p.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

I think Kiran is right...set up some rules and guidlines for your class and keep it posted. I had the same problem and that worked (well as well as it could) and I didn't have many problems after that! Be brave go out and eat something! Don't starve to death!! :)

 
At July 05, 2005 6:07 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll definitely post the class rules today and I'll see how that goes over.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home