Tuesday, July 12, 2005

D'Arcy's en route as we speak!

This week is flying by in comparison to last. Wow. What a difference some time makes. I'm feeling good and fine and glad. Last week I really wasn't sure what I had gotten myself into. Now I'm confident and anticipatory to see what this year will bring. Perhaps I've entered what is known as the "honeymoon period" which should, if all goes accordingly, crash and burn at around month three. I'll update you on that in early October.

Hmm.. what of interest today? First period at my school is always "Sharing Time". For forty minutes we are supposed to do the morning routine with the children; talk about the date, the weather, etc, etc. etc. For the first time ever I was able to spend this period without breaking out the crayons to save time. Good for me!

I brought out a picture of my family, well, of my parents, me, and one of two brothers (sorry Bri) and told them "this is my family". I showed them my mother, father, and brother. I explained the difference between boy and girl and touched each head (like duck duck goose) saying boy boy girl. I drew a boy and a girl on the board. I asked "Who's a boy" and "Who's a girl" and the kids seemed to understand the difference. Except poor little Elliot, but that doesn't come as a surprise. Sigh... poor little Elliot. I asked who loves their family and they practiced the sentence "I love my family". Talk about imposing values but what can you do. Overall, a grand English success!

In my older kids class which lasts from 4:40 to 6:50 with two five minute breaks in between and consists of only two students, we worked through the three workbooks that they have and then wrote a letter to a real friend. Not a bad idea, if I do say so myself. I like them a lot because we can just talk and play and nobody seems to mind or notice. Seven year old Mark told me all about the Korea/Japan conflict and Liz told me about the characters on "Friends". Like I don't know already...

D'Arcy arrives here tomorrow at about 4pm or so. She's currently on the plane I think, or about to get on it. I look forward to seeing her!

My trip to Japan is booked. I'll be there for three days, from Tuesday the 26th to Friday the 29th. Not as long as I'd like but a trip to Japan all the same, with a paid for flight. Ilbon here I come.

2 Comments:

At July 13, 2005 3:16 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I'm flying into Osaka... I don't really know where that is in relation to anything else, or if I'll try to go elsewhere during my stay. Where is your brother?

 
At July 13, 2005 8:01 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

THat's right. Fukuoka is very close to the second largest city in Korea, which is Busan. Lots of teachers living in the South of Korea travel there for their visas.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home