Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Crack the whip

Oh my golly, I only have five weekends left in Korea. And saving the last one to spend in Suji/Seoul, that leaves four weekends to do all the many things D'Arcy and I just realized we have left to do in this great land.

We made a list.

1) Gyeongju - a historical place to do with the Silla dynasty. It's one hour away from Busan. I think we'll head there this coming weekend.

2) White Water Rafting in Inje and a folk village in Andong (both in the same province as the mountain from last weekend). Maybe this will be the following weekend.

3) Islands in the South - Geojedo. We considered this and think we'll scrap the idea becuase it's just too far away. If someone can make a compelling argument as to why I should go here, I may change my mind.

4) Geonju - a famous temple with rock in the Southwest. I didn't give myself very good notes about this and don't trust myself that it's right... the name is eerily similar to number 1. That means nothing in Korea.

5) Ganghwa-do (or is it Daechon Beach) which is a beach and island on the West Coast. I guess it's better to do this one when it's a bit warmer.

6) Icheon ceramics and hot spring spas - maybe we'll go here next Wednesday which is election day and therefore a national holidayf. Then again maybe the roads will be treacherous and I should avoid road transportation at all costs. I don't know.

That's six things, five of which are weekend trips. As I said, I have four spare weekends available for trips (assuming I'm prepared to go on a trip every weekend from now until my last weekend in Korea. I guess I am.) If anyone here is an expert on these things, your input would be much appreciated.

As for things left to do in Seoul, which it looks like will have to be done after work on Tuesdays or Thursdays (when I finish school at 4:30), I have made a small list:

1) A prison at dongnimmun station

2) The National Museum at Yongsan station

3) Building 63 (it's tall and has old pictures of Seoul in it)

4) Seoul National University (I want to buy a tshirt...)

And that'll wrap up my year in Korea. What the hell was I doing all winter, hibernating? Honestly.

3 Comments:

At May 23, 2006 12:58 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gyeongju is pretty cool. I definitely recommend it. There is a lot to see that is different from what you already seen in Seoul, such as giant burial mounds.

As for Geojedo, we didn't go because we didn't have enough time and no one enthusiastically recommended it. The mixed reviews we heard convinced us it wasn't worth the trip.

Instead of Geojedo, we went to Sorekson (I think I just spelled that wrong) and loved the mountains. It was so much fun to revisit it through your pictures!

I haven't been to the other places, so I can't say anything about them. Ceramics and hot spring spas sounds cool though.

Enjoy your remaining time. Sounds like you've got a lot of fun weekends ahead of you!

 
At May 24, 2006 9:06 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

That's funny.. I was going to address you directly in my post (because you're my number 1 advice giver), though I didn't know that you've been to/worked in Korea. In what capacity were you here? Am I following your every footstep???

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

 
At May 28, 2006 1:29 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

ganghwa do is nice I was there this weekend..check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home