Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Tuesday night in Suji

I need to take a break from reading about starvation and survival in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge. The book is "First They Killed My Father" by Loung Ung and is the story of her middle class Phnom Phen family's struggle.

I memorized the details of this genocide for the class I took called "Genocide." I couldn't remember a single detail when I started reading this book.

Autobiographies are my ideal method of learning history.

There's nothing to write about. Nobody is online to say hello to, and I've already eaten too much galbi for one sitting. Today at school I finished my lessong planning for May and thus felt like it is now June. With only "one month" left of teaching I vowed to myself to be a lighthearted, happy teacher from now on. I don't need to take things seriously; I'm leaving soon! Just enjoy the kids and forget about everything else. Then I came back from a break to find the cover of my book torn off. GHREAAAHAH. It's really a month and a half, isn't it.

I'm looking forward to this weekend when I, if all goes according to tentative plan, will be hiking around Sorak mountain (Soraksan). Let's see if the rumors are true about the Korean hiking experience.

2 Comments:

At May 19, 2006 9:01 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book and it's amazing i thought. You should really try and read the sequal called Lucky Sister. It's the sequal and it talks abuot her life in America.

--Dan

 
At May 19, 2006 9:20 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and you can even buy the sequel at What the Book in Itaewon--i saw it there a few weeks past.
--Dan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home