Friday, May 12, 2006

Bow wow

I'm almost certain I was in the first grade at Sunnydale Park School in DDO, Quebec, sitting on the carpet in Mrs. Barber's class. I could be mistaken.

We were studying the Chinese zodiac.

In Montreal the cutoff for grade level is not based on the calendar year (ie: all babies born in 1983) but on the academic year (from September to August over two calendar years). So in my class were kids born both in 1982 and 1983.

The two possible Chinese zodiac signs for our age group were dog and boar. I made fun of some stupid boy (I can't remember who he was now, but I remember the incident), saying that he was going to be in the year of the boar. Then I was humiliated when I found out that he wasn't, and I was.

Just this minute I've learned that I'm not at all the year of the boar but the year of the dog! It has come to my attention (thanks to my dad's amusement in forwards) that February 12th 1983 (my birthday) was the last day in the year of the dog. The 13th marked the beginning of the year of the boar.

So, sorry to that stupid boy I ridiculed. I don't know what I was thinking. But ha! I'm a dog and proud of it, and this is my year! And I was in China over the new year to ring it in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home