Thursday, December 01, 2005

My kitchen smells like garbage

And if my kitchen smells like garbage my whole apartment does too. I guess it's time to throw out the garbage and wash the dishes. I'll just open the window.

Take a look at the timestamp of this post. That's right, it's not even four yet and I've been off work since two thirty. I love when my one student fails to show up on Tuesday or Thursday.

I decided today to join the gym of which everyone else is a member (active or not). Since D'Arcy was still working I went on my own but after climbing seven flights of stairs without finding it I figured I'd had my workout and sauntered home, my hair blowing in the wind, to eat caramel Hershey's kisses.

On the bus ride over to downtown Suji a man boarded the bus just behind me. I glanced at him and thought he looked rather familiar but wasn't too sure, until he spoke.

"You're very beautiful" Oh right, that sleazy weirdo who is sometimes hanging around our walk home.

"Are you from Canada or America?"

He then proceeded to ask me about my boyfriend status and whether I'm interested in Korean men. Happily, this fifty or so year old man was not after me for himself, but for his 28 year old son who is my height and very handsome. I even got to see a photograph. He assured me that Korean men are the best in the world and help their wives. Thrown into the deal, should I accept, is a wedding dress on the house!

A wedding dress is the least of my concerns, bucko. He didn't leave me his card.

I am feeling really great. And I mean really great. Many, many great, teacher!

Did I mention that today is my five month anniversary? My kids are being wonderful and I'm so glad I made it through the last month and a half, because I was really feeling unhappy at work there for a while. Now, not only are they refraining from speaking Korean in the classroom, but they are actually speaking English to each other when I'm not listening. "Mindy, may I borrow your red crayon please" "Okay" "Thank you" is heard echoing throughout the classroom. Music to my ears. I'm no longer dreading Tuesday's Open Class; in fact I look forward to showing the parents how great their kids are doing.

My plane ticket to Thailand is paid for and I'm leaving in just over three weeks. My parents are seriously considering a visit in late January. My brother got a new job. My other brother is touring America as a band manager. I got a postcard and a letter/picture from friends this week. I'm seeing Harry Potter tonight. And it feels like spring outside.

My kitchen smells like garbage.

[Edit]: D'Arcy called on her way from work and I forced myself to put down the kisses and get to the gym. Seventy bucks for three months are paid and I had my first workout today. It was quiet and my arms and legs are going to hurt tomorrow, I can already tell. I intend (intent, gotta love it) to go every Tuesday and Thursday, and hopefully some other day as well. I hear there are some attractive boys who work out there too...

3 Comments:

At December 01, 2005 3:38 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the first person I ever met in Korea said that if you're gonna crack and clear out of the country, you typically do it by the fourth month. I guess congrats are in order!

 
At December 01, 2005 8:04 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the postcard you got from Rick and I?

 
At December 01, 2005 9:26 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

That's what I've heard too, or more specifically, that around the fourth month mark you hit culture shock hard. Perhaps it was me that was the problem and my kids were reacting to it.

Carina, I got that postcard last week! Thanks a lot! I tried to email Rick about it but I don't think any of the addresses I have for him are valid anymore. I can't reach my own brother... sigh.

Dad, I'll clean up for you guys, of course... Or at least sweep it all under the bed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home