Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Details of my Magic Straight Experience

One of my curly haired, now departed coworkers had it done and it worked like a charm. I considered it, then forgot about it. Then remembered.

I hemmed and hawed thinking about it for the past few weeks, carefully weighing the pros and cons. What did it finally come down to? I didn't want to be on my deathbed knowing that I passed on the one opportunity to pay under one hundred bucks to have permanently straight hair. Thank you, Sara, for putting it into perspective. Sure my curls are fantabulous, but hey, I was looking for adventure, and it's temporarily permanent. I'll be dealing with curly roots in about three to four months.

So D'Arcy and I walked to the next city this morning; a nice walk in perfect cool weather. We were heading to check out the GAP which we finally located in the outlet district of Ori. Much to our dismay, every GAP item was no cheaper than $100 so we left empty handed. We found the first hair dresser on the stretch with a semi English sign and went in inquiring about Magic Straight. This is a famous process developed (I think) in Korea. There's a similar process done in Japan. And to get it done in North America sets you back at least an arm. Maybe a leg too. My mom asked her hairdresser and they said it costs a grand!

This picture is my hair before, on a rare occassion that I actually wore it down. Much much curly. So I was a bit concerned that the process would do a bad job but decided to go ahead with it anyway.

They said it would take two hours and would cost 70,000 won, which is about seventy dollars. Fine by me. The guy put some kind of paste into my hair, then wrapped my head in saran, then heated it for a relatively short while, then washed, then flat ironed, then creamed again, then washed, then blowdried. It turned out to be a five hour process! And the final blowdry still had a little bit of frizz and twist to it, though it was remarkable how much it did work. They were a little surprised, and commented on my quantity of hair. Very apologetically they asked me to come back on Wednesday to finsh off the job.

So far I'm very happy with the results. It's fun to have soft, shiny straight hair, at least for a change. I look forward to blowdrying my hair and leaving in the morning with dry hair; something I haven't done in years and years. And I even got hit on by a girl tonight. Okay, okay, it was merely a compliment and not even about my hair...



We'll see how it looks when I do it myself.

6 Comments:

At November 26, 2005 1:47 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

hot!

 
At November 26, 2005 2:31 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very nice.

 
At November 26, 2005 7:03 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definately Hot!

 
At November 26, 2005 7:22 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Thanks, boys. ;)

 
At November 26, 2005 7:58 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG your hair looks amazing Jess! Wow! Did it burn when the paste was on your head? Were you afraid that it would go terribly wrong and your hair would fall out?

Welcome to the world of straight hair! I would love curls any day!

 
At November 27, 2005 9:06 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I wasn't afraid, surprisingly, but now I am! I still have to go back on Wednesday to finish the process!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home