Monday, August 15, 2005

Namdaemun market

Today Darce and I went into Seoul, first to Insadong and then to Namdaemun market. I have already been to and described Insadong, a touristy promenade full of souvenirs and things so I'll spare today's details. I hadn't been to Namdaemun though, and it was really great.

Today was a holiday here in Korea though I have no idea what it's for. All I know is that I had the day off. Good enough for me! On the walk over to the subway we came across a large parade or protest.











I'm not sure at all what it was but it was pretty interesting to watch anyway. I'm really missing lots of information these days, aren't I? Well, it's tough to know nothing. And it's funny when you ask someone something expecting a funny look and a struggle only to get "I speak English".

So this is the market. It's sprawling and packed with people, shops, and carts with the same products selling at every other corner. Something about markets make me really happy. They reflect the culture and people in a way that Itaewon and Insadong just can't seem to. No surprise there, though.

They had dried kiwi for sale and we were given a taste but ended up opting for some dried mango instead. Mmm mmm. Not too bad.


This picture reminds me of one I took in Mexico. I love the flags and banners hanging over the passageway. Isn't it beautiful? I think I'll find the one from Mexico as a comparison...


The difference is that there was nobody on that street in Puerto Vallarta and there was hardly any room to walk on that street in Namdaemun market.

I have to make sure I'm ready for school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home