Thursday, August 11, 2005

A four day week? Ridiculous.

I am teaching topic sentences and supporting sentences to my most advanced (read: only advanced) class and today's activity consisted of providing three supporting sentences for the following statement.

"The school week should be reduced to four days."

Kids in Canada would be all over that one. In fact, three sentences wouldn't be enough for them to cover all the reasons why this is a great idea!

My kids said "but teacher, we go to school on Saturdays."

When pressed they came up with the idea that it should be a four day week so they have more time to study.

Hip hip hooray for growing up in North America!

Tonight we teachers went out for dinner to a Tofu Palace and man was it ever palatial (you like that word, don't you). Check this out.


We were nine people. I'm gladder than glad that I don't have to wash dishes at a Korean restaurant.

5 Comments:

At August 11, 2005 7:48 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie asks:

Where do you go to meet nonKorean people? I am American but I am adopted frm Korea so I look korean.. I need to find some english speaking people and fast.
email me at stephanie.m.young@gmail.com please?

 
At August 11, 2005 10:33 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Jessica responds: Depends where you are living. Where are you? In most towns there are bars where foreigners go, or you can check www.eslcafe.com and do a search for your area to see who's around.

There are no other foreign teachers at your school?

 
At August 12, 2005 12:28 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess!

Glad to finally catch up on your blog postings. I love the humor you inject into your posts, very entertaining (keep up the good work!). Life is pretty crazy now back here in T.O. for me. Just got home from Camp tonight (very sad) and tomorrow it's off to New Hampshire to visit the cousins. Israel is fast approaching and there is still so much to do (you know all about this!). My friend Kristine from camp is leaving to teach in Korea in a month or so...perhaps she will be near you!

All those pictures of food are making me very very hungry. A few days ago I went out for Korean food with 2 co-workers who have previously taught for a year or more in Korea and speak some Korean- it was quite the experience! Let's just say I smiled and nodded a lot at the waitress (who assumed I also spoke some Korean...!).

Hope all continues to go well and that you're keeping dry in the rainy season...don't worry, it's been ridiculously hot and humid here too so you're not missing anything good!

Speak to you soon,
rand

 
At August 12, 2005 1:02 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

Hey Jess....

Yup the drag show is on Saturday night...in Itaewon...I miss you guys thought it would be nice to see you again soon...good thing you didn't head to Seoul for immigration!!! We should hang soon!!!!! If you and D'arcy need a place to crash on Saturday let me know. If I don't see you this weekend perhaps next weekend if you're free! Cheers babe have a great long weekend!!!

 
At August 14, 2005 1:17 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Rand! Great to hear from you. We just chatted on MSN today but I thought I'd respond to this comment too. Glad life in Toronto for you is pretty crazy and good. I can't wait to hear about your up coming adventure!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home