Monday, August 01, 2005

Man oh man

I called it as soon as he didn't show up for the flight to Japan. Chris, my coworker, was supposed to go with me to Japan but he didn't come. I joked that he had pulled the "midnight run" as it is called. These 'runners' take off without so much as a word to anyone. When I called it though, I was mostly joking.

This morning when the bell rang to indicate the start of school there were only four of seven teachers present. Kierstie had called in sick, Meaghan was held up returning from her trip to Thailand, and Chris... where was Chris? No phone call, no note, nothing. The staff tried to call him and there was no answer. They got a locksmith to open his apartment and found it completely empty. Everything gone.

UNBELIEVABLE!

He abandoned the school, his contract, the people he knew, and his kids. Sang Kyu, the director, is obviously very distraught and wants to know if there's anything he can do to make our working conditions better. He is out a lot of money because of this. As it turns out, Chris also left a nice long distance bill of over $300. What a spineless prick.

In the end it all works out because D'Arcy gets a permanent job at my school! But they're working hard to find a replacement for the last minute.

I really can't believe it. Really really.

4 Comments:

At August 01, 2005 8:19 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Nice to see the hagwon got hosed financially for a change. Oh well, your friend got a job there, so it's not all bad news.

Hopefully that Chris dude is in Seoul or Bundang, doing privates for 60 or 70 bucks an hour.

Please forgive my cynicism, I truly am ignorant, as I've never even been to Korea. Thanks.

 
At August 01, 2005 8:21 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

BTW, great posts...excellent photos!

 
At August 01, 2005 8:20 p.m. , Blogger kushibo said...

I don't know what the deal is, but kudos to your boss for actually thinking that there was something he/she could do to make things better.

 
At August 02, 2005 5:00 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

Hey Jess,

Well from what you've told me your school sounds nice as does your director..I wonder why Chris ran?? I could understand if you didn't get paid and had disgusting apartments and were treated like crap! But since you're not....I wonder why he left? I guess Korea isn't for everybody. Anyway I'm super happy D'arcy got a permenant job and you guys get to stay together she must be really happy!!

If you guys wanna come up here this weekend please do! Maybe we could hit Seoul tower or something touristy again..you'll be pleased to know I am not a dork with the subways anymore and haven't gone the wrong way once!!!!! Immigration closes at like noon on Saturdays so if you guys wanna come up Friday night we could go Saturday morning or something...if not I'll head there in the morning and you guys could come Saturday..hmmm I guess I could just e-mail you all this but whatever! Gimme a call and let me know! Cheers babe!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home