Monday, July 25, 2005

Got milk?

The other day I was walking along chatting with D'Arcy when I stopped in my tracks. I haven't had any calcium in three weeks! Not one drop, no milk, no cheese, no yogurt, nothing! That's not right! Milk does a body good!

I immediately bought a Hershey's chocolate milk from a nearby "Buy the Way".

It all makes sense though. Many of my children have really terrible teeth. They are only four years old and they have discoloured or even black teeth and cavities galore. They must be lacking the calcium they need.



What? What could be better than milk??

We are now on the lookout for increased indication of osteoporosis (for you, Mel!)

The Korean diet is delicious but it really is focused on certain foods. At least once daily I'll eat white rice. Usually there is some meat though not to excess. There is always always kimchi (pickled cabbage) and always yellow pickled radish. Sometimes there might be some sprouts or corn. Less often there are tiny bits of carrot mixed into things. Usually there is a very salty broth that accompanies food. And that's about it, with variations on method of prepartion, levels of spice, and type of meat or kimchi. Fresh fruits and vegetables are available in supermarkets though they seem pretty expensive. I haven't bought too much so I can't say that with certainty though.

There is just very little farming space in Korea so, unlike Canada, there is limited access to fresh produce. I miss that about home. I miss the farmer's markets.

Here you can buy a watermelon for over ten bucks. I hope my teeth hold up here. I bought some yogurt today made by Yoplait, but written in Korean like Yo-puh-leh-tuh.

Wonder what's for dinner tonight.

4 Comments:

At July 25, 2005 6:40 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy I got a mention! (isn't that sad) You two be careful and if you get desperate search for some TUMS as a Calcium source. mmmmmmm TUMS.
miss you

 
At July 25, 2005 10:29 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Mel! Nice to hear from ya! TUMS it is, if we can find it! Hope things are swell with you in the 'bridge.

 
At July 25, 2005 3:40 p.m. , Blogger Kiran said...

teeth...korean kids and their teeth...

it goes like this, many korean parents don't think it's important for children to take care of their teeth until they get their adult ones. they don't emphasize brushing and don't take the kids to the dentist until they get all their grown up teeth in...

kind of sets them up for failure, don't you think...

you'll also notice that candy candy candy and some gimbap are the usual lunch items packed for child on a school field trip...

alright!

 
At July 25, 2005 5:06 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait until you see the Japanese teeth...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home