Monday, July 18, 2005

I have found a pool

Now all I have to do is figure out how to use it. There is a YMCA about a ten minute walk from my apartment and today I finally located it. Problem is that nobody could speak English there and I certainly don't know the vocabulary for fitness centres in Korean. I'm still working on food ordering.

I saw the pool through an observatory window and it looked nice. There are two actually, and one was crowded but the other was pretty quiet. Oh how I wish I could read and communicate. I'll see if someone at my school can help me out with this.

Now that school is getting easier and I don't have too much to do in the evenings, I really need to get myself into things. I have my guitar to keep me busy, and I'd like to get swimming. Maybe D'Arcy and I will take up some kind of tae kwon do or tai chi. Whatever those are. Or maybe we'll take Korean lessons. All I know is that I need to make a life for myself or else I might go crazy.

I think I'm already going crazy. My elementary school kids come after kindergarten on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and they're out of control. I'm not a very good behaviour management inforcer. The real problem is that they have these two workbooks, phonics and Magic Time, which are way above their level. I have to teach certain pages each day and they don't understand anything. They have a test on Wednesday that they'll all fail miserably but apparently you can't fail them. I'll have to give them a B and pass them on to the next level. It's ridiculous.

Holiday next week!

4 Comments:

At July 18, 2005 7:46 a.m. , Blogger Shells Bells said...

Swimming swimming in the swimming hole when days are hot and days are cold in the swimming hole....my kindys sang that to me today :) Yes definitly start an activity...if you take Korean lessons teach me after!! I want to take Taekwondo but the classes around my apartment are 5 nights a week....that is a big commitment...have to think about it! Sorry to hear your kindys are monsters....you have to be firm with them!! or they'll walk all over ya! anyway its only ur 3rd week...give it time chicky you'll do great...

 
At July 18, 2005 8:36 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

That's a good song! I should remember that one! Five nights a week would be a big committment, but talk about getting into good shape!

It's not my kindy's that are little monsters, luckily, though their testy too. I'm optimistic.

 
At July 18, 2005 1:06 p.m. , Blogger Blake said...

Just walk in to the YMCA and make funny body motions for swimming and show them your alien card. They'll probably figure it out.

The only problem is that you don't have an alien card yet! You probably won't be able to get a membership anywhere until you have your alien card, which you get after your visa run.

You could always just take up drinking...

BTW, if you ever find a way to control the little monsters without resorting to violence, let me know.

 
At July 18, 2005 5:53 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

You should have seen the woman's face when I walked up to the desk and said "English? Anyone English??" She looked petrified. Ha ha ha.

I can't wait for my alien card. Soon sooon soon!

Strap 'em into the chairs and gag 'em???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home