Friday, August 12, 2005

Everybody's living for the weekend

Have I used that title before? I think I have, or else it's always on my mind come Friday. Friday comes so frequently, so it seems.

Did you know I've never worked a long term full time job like this before in my life? Not a big surprise since I just graduated, but worth mentioning anyway.

This week has been rough, and with rough weeks comes serious thinking. I have decisions to make soon about the rest of my life in terms of grad school, a future career, and what I want out of life.

What I definitely don't want is to be living for the weekend like I am now. Life is short and I can't justify giving most of it up to something I don't enjoy. Most people don't like their job, right? That sucks.

The thing is that I can't think of anything that I would love doing for a long period of time. I like change and I get bored easily. I like sleeping. I like making my own decisions about how my day is spent.

That's why I like being a student. I guess I'll just be one of those for as long as possible. Great, decision made. Now I can get on with my weekend - a long one at that!

Feel free to comment, friends and strangers.

5 Comments:

At August 12, 2005 7:42 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jess, your comment hit home with me! I had a two hour conversation with your father this past weekend on just that subject. Where am I going from here, what the heck am I going to do with the rest of my life?? I know exactly what you mean when you say that you don't know what would interest you enough to spend a long period of time doing it. I think it's common and natural for people in their twenties to be confused and lack direction. But if you manage to figure out the secret to finding a meaningful career let me know!!

 
At August 12, 2005 10:27 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely! We've graduated from university, now what? All this education, we should be able to put it to good use. I'm confused too, we all are.

jen

 
At August 12, 2005 8:31 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

I guess we could have worse problems than confusion. At least we have choices and options thanks to our education.

 
At August 13, 2005 12:12 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,

I think we're all going to change our minds a zillion times in terms of what we want to do but what you're doing now is amazing and while you're there I'm sure you're getting a taste of the "real world" (aka not being a student). I think it's great that you had the courage to pack up and head to another country to try something new.
I love reading your blog!

Enough random babble.

Heidi

 
At August 14, 2005 1:14 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Heidi, great to hear from you! What are you up to these days? Are you an official working woman?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home