Monday, May 16, 2005

Gone Exploring

My Poor teacher Martine was hit with pancreatitis so class was dismissed at 1:00 instead of 5:00. Yay! Zainab and I decided to use this opportunity and take a trip to the beach. In 10 degrees celcius weather, what better thing is there to do?

Riding the rocket AKA a streetcar

We rode the streetcar all the way East on Queen St until the end of the line. Zainab has lived here for four years and has never been to the beaches. I have only ever driven here and all my beaches memories are (unfortunately) tied into Micheal. Not anymore.

At last we've reached the beach

Back in the thirties this was a lively neighbourhood where many Torontonians would flock to in order to keep cool, including the many immigrants of the other areas in the city. I guess the lake was actually swimmable in those days. The Beaches' residents were appalled at the mess left from picnics and the rude behaviour of the immigrants that included changing into their bathing suits in cars or changing their babies right on the picnic tables. To put a stop to such behaviour that was apparently messing up the beach, the residents began a club which they self-titled "The Swastika Club". They wore swastika badges on their clothing and patrolled the area. By the way, the thirties was when the Nazi's were gaining power in Germany and the Jews were among the new immigrants to frequent the Beaches.

The story goes on, ending with one of the city's most violent riots at Christie Pits park between the Jewish boys and the Beaches boys.

Anyway, it's a beautiful place to go today, even on a cloudy and cool May day. Damn, why is a day in May cloudy and cool?!?

A quiet moment

Here is Zainab very interested in checking out the water. Where are the fish??

Tourist in my own city

And here's me under the clouds.

Close stones

There are lots of beautiful stones along the shore and try as I might, I couldn't skip a one.

Submerged stones

The CN tower

I love getting the afternoon off. Is pancreatitis reoccuring? Just kidding. I swear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home