Saturday, January 29, 2005

I love when a crowd sings together

Went with Wendy to see an Israeli film tonight at Bloor cinema about the struggle of new immigrants from Morocco and India, as well as the human struggle of growing up, love, and family. We felt nostalgic for Israel after our summer backpacking adventure across the country. We bought Israeli chocolate that we enjoyed this summer. Mine has pop rocks embedded into milk chocolate. Genius!

The exciting part of the evening, though, was eating my second Korean meal ever! I felt I should get an idea of what I'm up for. A couple of years ago I went to a Korean BBQ where you cooked meats and fish right there on the table. It was alright but at the time I remember thinking that too much work was invovled. I know a cook can make my food much better than I can.

Tonight we went to this little fast food type place called Yummy! on Bloor St. just East of Bathurst. Who knew there was a little Korea right here in the city? I guess a lot of people knew... but I didn't. I had a beef stirfry at the recommendation of the friendly young fellow working behind the counter. He suggested we make it spicy if I was to get accustomed to true Korean food. I agreed. Wendy had chicken stirfry but without the spice.

It was a huge portion for only $6.00. It came with a large serving of tasty white rice, as well as three side dishes that I've heard so much about; pickled something, tofu something, and kimchi! The famous kimchi! I have bad news to report. I didn't like it. It was cold and vinegary, and I don't really like things that are vinegary. I hope to get used to it and grow to love it though. I won't give up on you, kimchi!

I'm even more excited now because it was really very delicious and delicious things make me happy to be alive. Ha! Yes, it's sadly true. Wendy has a friend who doesn't get pleasure out of food. Is that possible?

I should have brought a camera to capture the moment. Alas, I did not.

By the way, my title is unrelated to this post, but don't you agree? That makes me happy to be alive too.

5 Comments:

At January 30, 2005 8:51 a.m. , Blogger larrykim said...

i love it when the title does not match the content. it's like a mystery novel. you are trying to figure out, as you are reading, if there is some small little detail that you are not able to decipher that may make the title relate to the content somehow. and you realize... man, the author probably forgot what he/she was writing about to begin with... the author is not as smart as i initially thought...

i never liked kimchi either. i remember as a kid growing up in korea, i stayed away from eating kimchi (i also got beat up a lot as a kid). what is there to like. you don't have to like kimchi to live in korea. i think eventually though, i do eat it once in a while now when i go see my mom. i guess it is an acquired taste. if someone makes you eat it for years and years by force, you will eventually learn to love it... ha, what's the point? don't torture yourself. if you don't like it, you shouldn't eat it.

here is what kimchi was... when people were poor and they could not afford meat, they needed something to eat that had some taste (spice) that they can consume with rice because rice pretty much does not have any flavor. anyway, so they figure. lets see.., if we eat something that is already gone bad, then we don't have to worry about it going bad... so came kimchi... it's true, i read it somewhere. i think it was in the little book of korean trivias and famous korean quotes. which makes me think, maybe you could use this book. i will send you a complementary copy once i publish it...

 
At January 30, 2005 8:04 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Yeah, it's true, I don't need to love kimchi. Sigh. It's tough to face the facts.

I wonder if I'll like soju...

 
At January 30, 2005 8:05 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

By the way, that was a very interesting piece of Korea trivia. I'm a better person now because of it!

 
At February 03, 2005 9:19 p.m. , Blogger Tom said...

"Wendy has a friend who doesn't get pleasure out of food. Is that possible?"

Check his papers. he might be a terrorist in a sleeper cell.

 
At February 04, 2005 12:15 a.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

How did you know he's a he? Is that you in the tree with binoculars looking into my window?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home