Sunday, June 10, 2007

The search continues

Can't sleep, can't sleep, can't sleep. But why? Could it possibly be due to the three hour nap I took early this evening? Nahh, I say it's excitement from job-application land that's got me up.

No, I haven' t found a job nor have I even had an interview, but I have managed to find some jobs that actually seem interesting. Like a research position in a Toronto rehab hospital. I would be working on a project testing how a drama and arts-based treatment program works with dementia patients. It starts July 3rd. I want it! Another opening that caught my eye is a cejep faculty member teaching sociology. In Montreal. Would I be professor or Miss?

For both these positions I meet the requirements but I lack some assets. Like a background in health, for example. And post-secondary teaching experience. But I remain hopeful, and awake.

I sent my resume and cover letter to some people for editing and my dad called to give his constructive criticism. Man, my immediate response to advice from my dad is to tense up and become defensive. But I forced myself to be open to feedback and now my resume is so much better off. He knows some things, my dad. Why was this particular experience useful? Why am I a good candidate for this job because of that experience? These are things I hadn't thought about.

So, this first real job search in the life of Jessica has begun and it's rather exciting. Less scary now than before, and more exciting. Wouldn't it be great if I never reached the discouraging stage. Or the disappointing stage. Or the, "oh shit, I have no more money and need to pay my rent... maybe Subway is hiring" stage.

2 Comments:

At June 16, 2007 4:23 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry if I make you tense up. Glad the suggestions were ok.

Dad

 
At June 16, 2007 4:57 p.m. , Blogger Jessica said...

Not you specifically, Dad. I hope you aren't offended by what I wrote; that certainly was not my intention.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home