Friday, June 01, 2007

Failure and future plans

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to be a volunteer teacher with the GET Programme on Peace Boat. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer you an interview for the 59th voyage.

The competition for this voyage was particularly high and we had a very difficult time making our decision.

Thank you once again for applying to the GET Programme. We would like to wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

***

Man. I've failed to get the first thing I've ever really badly wanted; the first thing I've put my all into applying for. It's disappointing but, surprisingly, not crushing. Maybe because I had a feeling it wouldn't work out. Maybe because I'm tough like overcooked steak. Maybe because I'm an emotionless freak-a-zoid.

The scary thing is that now I have to make up a new plan. I finish school in July and without Peace Boat to occupy me from September to January I am stuck finding a real job and getting into real life. But I don't want to... but I know I have to. I have money. I can use it to travel the world. Instead I think I better do the responsible thing and save it. Or find a job that allows me to start sometime in the distant future and travel for a while.

So many options.

No options at all.

I search for jobs on sites like workopolis and monster and I don't even know what to use as my keywords. A master's in sociology isn't so conducive to applicable careers. Durkheim doesn't generate any results. I've been using "journalism", "journalist", "sociology", "sociologist", "research", "qualitative". But few if any interesting jobs come up.

It's scary to leave the protective walls of school. Pretty damn scary.

2 Comments:

At June 01, 2007 12:42 p.m. , Blogger Not Jeremy said...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you! I know how excited you were about it. You even made me excited about it, and I didn't even apply!

The real world isn't that bad, I think. I mean, there's some benefits... right? You'll figure it out.

Also remember not to spend all your time looking on monster/workopolis. I always found that depressing for the exact reasons you mentioned. It's all about who you know!

I hope your ankle gets better soon!

 
At June 03, 2007 6:51 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home