Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Summer bloggin'

I'm onto my last set of courses for this ol' master's degree. Sociology of Religion is one. Spirituality and education is another. Perhaps I'll develop some connection to religion or spirituality through these. I'm choosing to keep an open mind.

My application to work as a volunteer English teacher on Peace Boat has officially been received. I want it more than I've wanted anything in a long, long time, if ever.

Here is my letter:

Dear Peace Boat,

I was climbing the Great Wall of China over a year ago when I first heard of Peace Boat from an alumni GET teacher who had just completed his stint aboard. Ever since then, throughout my time teaching English in South Korea and this past year studying for my Master’s degree at home in Canada, I have been unable to get it out of my mind. Working as an English teacher on Peace Boat is something I want to do more than anything else.

The most obvious reason for my great desire to do this is to travel the world by ship. I have traveled to many places (specifically in Asia) and I have spent time on a number of cruise ships in and around the Caribbean. The feeling of arriving in a foreign place and leaving with some measure of increased understanding of that place and its people makes me a traveler at heart. The vast blue of the ocean and the sun setting below the distant horizon makes me yearn to be out on the water. A combination of the two is like a dream.

Though perhaps a less obvious reason, but certainly equally compelling for me, is my love of teaching in general and teaching English specifically. I have worked as a teacher in one way or another throughout my life; I was a swim instructor, a camp counselor, a tour guide, and a teaching assistant (many times over). Most significantly, I worked as an English teacher in South Korea for over a year. When I arrived many of my students did not even know how to count in English. By the end they were reading and understanding complex sentences. The extreme satisfaction I felt from being able to guide my students through the learning process (while simultaneously learning a great deal from them) is what compels me to teach on Peace Boat.

I feel my training and experience make me an ideal candidate for this job. Prior to departing for Korea I took a 100 hour Teaching English as a Second Language course at an accredited school (CCLCS) in Toronto, Canada. My experience in Korea was invaluable, and my education in sociology has developed my skills as a teacher and a thinker, as well as my commitment to international relations and equality for all. I would truly love to be a part of this journey; to assist the participants in spreading the message of peace around the world.

My youthful energy, love of music (I will be sure to bring my guitar and my singing voice), and creative flair will add excitement and liveliness to the trip.

I am an enthusiastic and committed young teacher, eager to participate in Peace Boat’s 59th voyage. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Sincerely,

Jessica

I should hear if I get an interview by June 1st. Send me good vibes, people!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home