Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Isolating grad school

I have one month left of my masters. And I still don't actually know whether I'm supposed to use an apostrophe or not for my degree. I'll rephrase - I have one month left of my MA.

I've been feeling a little bit down in the dumps the last few days, and am reminded of my first few weeks of grad school before my RA and TA work started up and took over my life. I'm lonely and isolated. During the day I often don't have class until 2am and stay at home, sleeping, reading, lounging around, until it's time to get to school. I walk to school alone, sit through two hours of class, and then head to the gym and home.

Now with my still-swollen and mildly throbbing ankle I can't even go to the gym. I'm sad. I can see how a life of academia can be a very isolating career choice unless you make the effort to reach out to the people around you. Luckily I didn't make that career choice. I should still reach out more.

Also eating at me is my impending nothing-to-do that will spring upon me in July. It's looming nextness, my friend says. Mixed with incessant laziness (which translates to lazy job searching), I don't know what's to become of me. A job isn't going to just fall into my lap.

Things usually fall into my lap.

Hey job! My lap is waiting! Hey happy, exciting, fun future life! My lap is waiting!

1 Comments:

At June 06, 2007 5:54 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't know whether or not a master's degree has an apostrophe, you don't deserve to get one. (The apostrophe, I mean.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home